Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text Font Rights.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Default Text Font Rights.

Just wondering how the rights of a font works. Coz i am really interested in a font but honestly will not pay $300 in a set, since i will just use in maps, i am not writing a book ( if i was, is fair enough for this price) , that is why i am asking.

Something wrong if someone that bought the font, "give me" a font to use in my works?
    I really want Aurelia Linotype GmbH but cannot buy it so i am using a based and free font, but are just small details that make Aurelia supreme compared with the others, but wut can i do if i am chepo?

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    Just wondering how the rights of a font works. Coz i am really interested in a font but honestly will not pay $300 in a set, since i will just use in maps, i am not writing a book ( if i was, is fair enough for this price) , that is why i am asking.

Something wrong if someone that bought the font, "give me" a font to use in my works?
    I really want Aurelia Linotype GmbH but cannot buy it so i am using a based and free font, but are just small details that make Aurelia supreme compared with the others, but wut can i do if i am chepo?
    I'm not sure if you are asking or stating

You can't legally be "given" a font to use, and whether you are using one word or writing a book, the use of a font requires complying with the licence terms.

There are lots of font libraries you can purchase inexpensively, and many fonts that are free for personal use, that may have something similar to Aurelia for example Trajan http://www.identifont.com/show?2J2

-Rob A>

You mean this ? : Téléchargez Aurelia? famille de polices - Linotype.com

surely we can help you find something else because it look pretty common to me.

Yeah RobA, i got one similar to Aurelia, i liked "ArnoPro" and tnx for the "Trajan", i will check it too.
    I just asked coz one friend is using in his book and he can share it but u answered my question he can share but i cant use

Azelor, i know that looks a common font, but i can see small details that made me in love for this font

tnx for the answers guys !

Not so much for maps, but I've learned that many fonts are perfectly usable in print publications, but for electronic publications like PDF format, many fonts are not allowed to be used as such. In electronic form, a given font embedded in a PDF file contains all the possible glyphs within a font set. Think of a font as a software package, when embedded into a PDF the use of a font includes everything, not just the letters you used of a given font in a publication. So depending on if you convert to outline graphics within a map, a digital only PDF map contains all aspects of a given font, and may not be usable for distribution. Something to have some concern about when using fonts in maps.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

just meant that i dont think fair pay like 300 bucks for a font to use in one free map i think fair and probly CHEAP to use in a book composition.

In my experience, I've paid for font use twice for a single font for a publication and it cost me $10 both times. I have no issues with paying $10 to use someone's font for pro work. I've never seen a font for $300 nor anyone ask for that for a pub...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Profesionnal fonts can cost waaaay more than $10...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I agree, good fonts and their fontfamilies, can costs 500+ in total or more. Depending on the professional and economic details of a Designjob, spending more than 1000€ on fonts and digital assets is not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    just meant that i dont think fair pay like 300 bucks for a font to use in one free map i think fair and probly CHEAP to use in a book composition.
    I'm not sure if fair and legal always line up!

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast