Thread: Converting from One Orthographic Oblique to 3D or to another Ortho Oblique

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

Question Converting from One Orthographic Oblique to 3D or to another Ortho Oblique

Greetings all,

This is my first post other than an introduction, and it is in fact the question I'd been asking when I stumbled across this forum.

I have been working on some orthographic oblique maps, using a real (gesso'd) "sketch" globe, pencil sketches, and a variety of computer programs to plan and produce my base map. I have vector outlines of the land masses, major inland bodies of water, and rivers. My elevation data is currently preliminary and raster only.
    All in all, I've got a hemisphere laid out, with greater detail on a temperate region that I plan to continue mapping in detail.

Now I'd like to be able to produce some different orthographic oblique maps with the globe rotated to different perspectives. Focus maps, as it were. I also think I'd learn something from viewing my familiar focus regions from different points of view.

I thought one way to do this would be to convert from my 2D Ortho Oblique to 3D spherical, but I haven't been able to find any tools to do this. In a crude effort, I mapped LAT/LON lines to an icosahedron and began to explore paper models, but I really want a 3D model I can rotate and export. I'm this --><-- close to switching to clay and acrylics and build the thing on my gesso globe to photograph and begin labelling what I hope will ultimately be a historical atlas.

Has anyone here ever converted maps from 2D to 3D, or say, converted orthographic oblique to a different projection and back?

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll be reading up on how to post some preliminary work for your perusal.

--
    M

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

EUREKA!!! I've had the tool right under my nose for years! Asking the question clarified my thinking.
    I'll make a video and post it here.

I think you are going to love this!