Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The three methods I tend to use (depending on what I want) are:
    Thankee; more grist for the mill in my head (ow. ow. ow. ow. ahhh.).

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

So did TSR really produce those maps in nonphoto blue to prevent xeroxing or did they just like the color? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    So did TSR really produce those maps in nonphoto blue to prevent xeroxing [...]
    Yeah. For similar reasons, they did many runs of the official AD&D character sheets on paper with a fairly heavy orangey-browney background that was difficult to photocopy (without great care it would produce a muddy swamp of grey mess), and in some later things they used red screens for similar reasons, since red photocopies as almost-black.

I'm just glad they grew out of their "Blue Period" in time to do awesome maps like the I6: Ravenloft plans

S. John Ross Ghalev

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

OH man I6 RULED as a map when it came out ... I LOVED that map and it was a fun (?deadly?) adventure too... but I sooo fell in love with that map... we should have a gimp tutorial on creating one of those maps!! ... probably be easier in Illustrator tho ... more than PS or GIMP ... or actually I imagine that you could knock one out in Google Draw pretty quick...

nophoto blue... the earliest form of anti-piracy protection ... you can't hardly find any nophoto blue pencils or anthing like that anymore.. I know.. I've tried on a number of occasions in the past couple years.. I finally gave up ... just sketch with some blue colored pencils...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    ... probably be easier in Illustrator tho ...
    It is, yes.

S. John Ross Ghalev

Illustrator just takes soooo long to get used too and to learn.... you see even less tutorials about mapping with Illustrator than you do with CC3... on here that is... I was hoping to put together some when I get the time... it really does help you learn if you make a 'tutorial' about what you are doing... I've been using Xara for a week now and I already feel more comfortable using that than I do my illustrator... for making map objects....

sorry to jack your thread torstan, I'll shut up now

Blog Entries

I think it was Torstan who had a tut up recently and used some blue pencil sketches so that when scanned he could remove the blue lines. I thought that was such a good idea I went and bought a fine art blue pencil. I didn't know about nophoto pencils tho. Any ole blue close to the pure B in RGB would do tho right ? Will try that technique out soon to be sure.

yes... I've done it plenty of times... I used derwent watercolour pencil blue... spectrum blue I believe the name is... you can adjust the levels in your scan so they won't even appear... that's how i've done it in the past anyways...

Blog Entries

Oh excellent as that is what I have. A number 32 I believe thanks for the info. I also bought this weird blue one too in case that didn't work so well. Solid paint pencil - never seen one before. Couldn't resist it actually, sucker that I am for small inexpensive widgety things...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast