Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

This looks like a great tutorial! Does anyone know if it will work with Photoshop?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You certainly can do this in Photoshop. There's a slightly adapted version with photoshop specific tips here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post174536

oh ho! SWEET CHRISTMAS!!! Thanks so much for this!

EDIT: I think I pasted this in the wrong forum. I will move it.
    Last edited by Axiom; 02-29-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks a bunch, that was a pretty simple first map.

Any tutorials like this for Inkscape?

Also wondering if anybody has come across more old school map objects (like different stairs and doors) other than the one in tutorial.

So I know it has been 5 years since this tutorial was posted, but I'd just like to say, as a first-time member of the Cartographer's Guild, this was the first tutorial I found (congratulations on the award!), and I must say that it is still great! I look forward to getting a chance to mess around with some dungeon-making myself, thanks to this tutorial!

Just a question in case anyone sees this and can fill me in... Does MapTools recognise different layers in a drawing, or can in recognise doors, etc? Though I'm sure I'd discover the answer with a bit of playing around, right now I can't work out how it does that

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by James Potter-Brown View Post
    Just a question in case anyone sees this and can fill me in... Does MapTools recognise different layers in a drawing, or can in recognise doors, etc? Though I'm sure I'd discover the answer with a bit of playing around, right now I can't work out how it does that

Thanks!
    I am not quite sure what you are asking about MapTool. If you are asking if MapTool can take a target file(a multi layer Gimp xcf or Photoshop psd, etc file) and have each layer in the source image on a separate layer in MapTool, the answer is no, and it never will. Nor can it "split" elements from a single source image into separate "things" within the software itself.

MapTool has 4 "layers currently, and it is entirely depending upon whoever builds the campaign maps within MapTool to separate things as needed for the game onto the correct layer.

MapTool specifics:

1. Typically, non movable things such as floors walls, etc should typically be placed on the Background Layer.
    2. Things that are movable(and/or breakable) such as chairs, tables, etc should should typically be placed upon the "Object" layer. The GM can then show/hide items individually as needed within MapTool's UI.
    3. Things that are hidden by default should go onto the "hidden" layer(though there is another option in the UI to make specific "tokens" visible on a per "object" basis you could use instead. ( RARELY ever use the hidden layer and go this other route most of the time))
    4. Creatures of any sort will go onto the "Token" layer.

Within MapTool, if you wish to follow this approach, you will either need to design your maps following this thought process approach. I know in many(if not all) of Torstan's purchasable map packs, he followed this approach and created the base "background" and included numerous "items" as separate files which could then be placed upon the Object layer as needed to "complete the picture so to speak".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Default [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Thanks a lot! I shall keep that all in mind I guess I was mainly wondering how the map maid in GIMP became a usable map in maptools, given that the GIMP map had doors etc on it. But giving that some thought, I can see that these door images aren't exactly "closed" doors, more just symbolic of door space, and Vision-Blocking could be added invisibly or something

I have a bit of playing around to do, but am definitely looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I never thought of using Excel for a drawing program. I have no idea why I never thought of it because I use it all the time for other things. That is me not thinking outside the box!

Stormie

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast