Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Just found this and wanted to say great guide, I've got an adventure coming up where I have 6 random encounters but no maps so this has just made my life a hell of a lot easier!

Guild Novice

torstan's pattern starts bottom left, Filters → Render → Pattern → Grid starts top left.

torstan's pattern fills with white, filter will draw on transparent.

Great TUT...I'm still a fan of the good old blue My first one was around 1981!

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have a soft spot for the old school blue D&D maps, and I'm a newbie here.

I've gone through this with gimp 2.8.22 on linux, and it works great - thanks torstan!

A question, though - it's been so long, I'm having a hard time finding a set of map elements to use. I can draw my own, of course, but there has to be a still-extant set available somewhere?

Alpha version: GIMP script-fu osr-dungeon-template

- Copy osr-dungeon-template.scm into your .gimp/scripts directory (NB: your directory may have a version; mine is .gimp-2.8/)
    - If GIMP is already running do Filters -> Script-Fu -> Refresh Scripts
    - File -> Create -> Dungeon -> OSR Dungeon Template

I will have to try this. When i get a chance i will copy the tutorial down.

Thank you very much! This handled my issue!

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Quick threadjack... You can also use Filters → Render → Pattern → Grid to render a grid of any size/colour

-Rob A>

(please carry on with the tutorial )

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Great Post

Hey, thanks for this. This is a great tutorial for GIMP. I can't wait to try it out, I've been working on making some old school maps for FG.

Thanks
    J

Praise

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Quick threadjack... You can also use Filters → Render → Pattern → Grid to render a grid of any size/colour

-Rob A>

(please carry on with the tutorial )
    Thank you. I knew, even before starting this tutorial, that gimp had to have a way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Better yet, save it as a template and when you open a new document, select the template name and poof, there you go.
    This is the first tutorial I've read, and I love the community effort aspect of the whole thing! Thanks for your input!

Now obviously this was a light hearted tutorial harking back to a more innocent time of D&D, but the basic principles you've seen here are the same basic principles that go into making far prettier maps.
    Thank you so much. For someone moving from pen and paper to computer generated maps, this tutorial was a perfect first step. Now I can move on, and eventually turn out maps that won't look out of place on Roll20 and such.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 04-16-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Merged comments

Very nice results!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789