Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July Challenge: The four Haskwood Canifers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really do hope you're going to change the textures soon...I'm expecting John Travolta to come out on to that floor any moment now....
    Ohhh I am seeing a vision of doing an animation... one involving a mirror ball and bullseye lanterns....

Well I have been busy... Here are some more textured and lit versions. This is getting closer to where its currently stood w.r.t indoor main hall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	5124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	5125  

Blog Entries

Now I gotta say I am having trouble understanding the lighting in that last image. The torches don't seem to be lighting up the pillar they are attached to and that the light is going through them and lighting up the opposite side. Also the light flare from the rear torch is showing even though its behind the pillar but I think that is a bug in the app - or maybe an unticked option on my part.

As usual, the textures come from cgtextures.com and I made them (moderately) seamless in the usual way. Its all a bit too clean at mo but whether it will allow me to dirty it up enough I don't know yet. That would be easy to do in 2D but wheres the fun in that eh ?

It still needs some pillars holding up the elevated floor and more decoration. Some of that should be easy but it would be easier in 2D for sure. This is where doing it in 3D starts to hurt.

Hmm you may need to ramp up the reflection on the pillars a bit and to make the lighting work to a squared range (it may be infinite).

It's looking really good RR!

Blog Entries

I think your absolutely right. I am sitting here staring at it. I think the app is doing its thing correctly but it looks like a linear drop off not squared. The tops of the pillars are black because the angle to the light is acute. In real life there would be more light there because the distance to light is small. So small distance acute angle beats long distance normal angle. As is, the program is lighting up the pillars opposite because the angle is normal. I think the drop off should make that less well lit than its showing. I don't know if I can control the light drop off but ill check. Maybe use a smaller drop off distance and up the brightness might do a similar effect even if linear.

Still think the light flare is a bug tho

Blog Entries

I might as well catch you up with the state of play outside too. So these will be the final WIPs tonight as this is where I am at so far.

The first shows the latest image (first so that its my latest WIP image). So talking about the second first... I have put a roof on it and got some tiled texture on that. I also put in the stable doors and sorted that out.

The first image shows the windows put in. Also done the fence posts. Was going to use the same texture for the posts as Fentor Cross church but it was evil trying to get the texture to line up exactly on all of the posts. I dunno maybe its working in imperial and rounding errors crept in. It wouldn't align to them so I used a procedural wood texture in the end.

The bushes are just spheres, jittered and textured with some hedge I saw the other day when out for a walk. So they are a bit weak but ill live with that for a while as the rest of the inn needs more love than the hedge.

I did a quick top down render and then imported that into ViewingDale. Then I use multiple bits of ground texture to build up a 2D image. Then saved that out and used that as an overall covering. Touched up the path with a bit of lightness added in a raster editor thats all.

Tables cloned from indoors and there we go. Pleased with that as the challenge is about the top down cut aways so theres no need to go mad over the outside I think.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Render10.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	5127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render6.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	5128  

Wow, you are one of the quick and good, which I guess beats being one of the Quick and the Dead.

If you do decide to venture into sketchup, let me know and I will post some ruby script links, which may be something else your good at, from just reading your last post about lights, angles, falloff,,,,which is something SeerBlue only knows about after to many Pochards at Hebbies.

Looking forward to more, writing and renders.

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dayum, I didn't know sketch-up even had lighting...or is that only in the pay version? Lookin veeeery nice.

Redrobes is using Lightwave, I think, but yes Free Sketchup has Lighting, and some excellant free photorealistic renderers, namely Indigo, via the skIndigo exporter, which is at the Indigo site forum for exporters and a more robust renderer Kerkythea

For Indigo/skIndigo you set everything up in Sketchup and run it from a plugin, Kerkeythea puts a handy little tool bar right in Sketchup,,,though you may have to enable it to see it.
    Take a look at the links, there are some awesome Sketchup works rendered there.
    Sandbox is also in the free version of sketchup, just needs to be enabled in the view>toolbar menu so you can use it, makes some nifty terrain for your models to set on.
    SeerBlue
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-10-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Redrobes, I love the model man, interior and exterior. It looks like the kind of place thats just perfect for a group of adventurers to find solace, not too near civilisation, but with a few comforts, to take away the nightmares and the ferrous reek of blood.....but only for a while.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Machine just stopped chuggin so theres a new set of pics to post. *Damn* slow this 3D thing... Anyway, ill render a few more top down and then head back into 2D land. I am just playing like a kid in a sweetshop with the 3D this month. Screw the challenge

So I have been plugging away a bit more at it with more textures and detail. Its about finished inside now - at least in the main hall. Unfortunately John Travolta couldn't make this evenings show as I think making an animation with this tool would turn me into a fossil. Does anyone know if there is a modeler / anim package that uses Gelato as its backend ? I have some decent nVidia card here to do it on...

Anyway. Just some interior renders of the main bar. I wanted these to look right before I did the map as there would be an inconsistency with it if I tried to do it the other way around. So the 2D might have more rough and trinklets splattered about but the core of the map will be the same I think.

I found that there was a big black shadow hole in the middle of the trees so I have added a bowl suspended on a chain. In the bowl there are hundreds of magical fire-flies that dance continuously. All different colors but the overall effect is a slightly greenish glow. I doubt that there would be much obvious magic in Thrubland but an upmarket Inn of this level might just be the place to find it.

I am posting these half size but PNG as I think the renders deserve the quality. If you want a double sized one then PM/email me. I have one more indoor one to do but for that ill try turning up the refractive index on the bowl and seeing if that looks better. Should take even longer tho... sigh.

Name:	SaveRender_000_small.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	848.1 KB 
ID:	5185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaveRender_001_small.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	813.4 KB 
ID:	5186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaveRender_002_small.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	802.8 KB 
ID:	5187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaveRender_003_small.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	759.1 KB 
ID:	5188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaveRender_004_small.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	5189  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast