Thread: Preparing globe images for printing on the inside of an umbrella

Question Preparing globe images for printing on the inside of an umbrella

I am looking for software that will allow me to prepare my flat images for printing on both the outside of globes and the inside of umbrellas (so that it will appear that the umbrella user is inside the globe.)

My question is: How does one alter the flat image to compensate for curvatures: how does one distort the sizes to fool the eye? I'm not Michelangelo, who knew how to do this inside a dome. Is there software that does this?

Thank you.
    PS. Cost is a consideration

Welcome to the Guild. Cool project! I do hope you mean reversed for the inside-printing.... I like the idea of a transparent-lithosphere troglodyte's view.

Look into free NASA software called GProjector, for transforming from one projection to another. Indeed - do a CG search on the term GProjector, and see how other folks have used it, and tips for its use.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Welcome to the Guild. Cool project! I do hope you mean reversed for the inside-printing.... I like the idea of a transparent-lithosphere troglodyte's view.

Look into free NASA software called GProjector, for transforming from one projection to another. Indeed - do a CG search on the term GProjector, and see how other folks have used it, and tips for its use.
    Many thanks. I am a neophyte, so this may be beyond my capabilities at this point, but I thought this forum could certainly guide me to the correct thinking.

Blog Entries

you need GORES

a good reference -- a bit old
    Making globes of the planets

a perl script that should still work
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir...e_gores_pl.txt

WARNING
    there is a antique gimp plugin ( 11 years out of date)
    that will not work in the current gimp 2.10

there is also this projection
    Maps and Globes | USGS Astrogeology Science Center