Thread: Map for a friend

Default Map for a friend

This is a map I made for a friends RPG campaign. I wanted to try out the latest annual (nr81, that Schwarzkreus here at the forum made) for CC3 again and try out some ideas I had.
    The finished map is a combined effort made in both CC3 and Photoshop. I first made the map in CC3, all the mountains, forest, cities and roads. I left the sea in a single colour so I easily could select it in Photoshop later. In Photoshop I added the new sea and rivers and applied some effects like oilpaint to make everything blend together. The sea monsters are from the July annual from Profantasy this year, that I made, but I decided to colour them so they better fitted in to the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronin_done_medium.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	57673  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Looks wonderful Clercon!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

If you gave me that I'd be very happy. I am not familiar with CC3 though so I don't have much to say about it!

Thanks for the nice words and the rep.
    Larb - He was very happy And I have to thank Schwarzkreus for the very nice style he made, even though I've made some significant changes in Photoshop. I liake CC3 a lot, but it is together with Photoshop that you really can make it shine.
    My finished maps

What sort of touchup in Photoshop do you usually do?

What I mainly do is adding texture (via a multiply layer) and fiddle with light and contrast (levels, curves). I nearly always as well add the oil paint filter to the map. This makes the map look a bit more hand painted and not computer generated. It also helps free hand objects added to the map in PS melt into the style a bit. Lately I've also started adding all rivers in PS, gives you more control and I like that the rivers can differ in width a bit when the float down to the sea/ocean.
    That is mainly what i do, it might differ a bit between maps.
    My finished maps

Gorgeous map Clercon! I like this one much better than the one you've done in the original CC3 style. I love the addition of monsters, they add so much character to the map.^^ I think you've done a great job enhancing the style in Photoshop. It looks very organic and hand-painted now, the unnaturally looking rivers is what really bothered me in the CC3 maps I've seen so far, painting yours in PS was an excellent choice.

Thanks Lyandra, I'm glad you like it. And yes the rivers usually comes out looking a bit computer generated when you do them in CC3. That is why I'm nowadays always do them in PS.
    My finished maps