Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: World Map WIP in GIMP

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    Really glad to see another WIP on this map, Karro! Yours was the map that first got me to decide to make my own, and was one of the big guides I followed to make it. And as I near a sort of completion on it, I've also started another, too.

I think the issue with the green mountains is just that you don't have any forests around them, yet. The only forests you've laid so far seem to be on the 'older' mountain ranges. They also seem every bit as craggy as the 'newer' ones, which might also be part of it. The older mountains are usually smaller and forested because they're more eroded, and thus smoother (relatively, anyway), unless I'm mistaken.

And as for the long save times, I hear you on that. Geidor gets updated (and more scarily, saved) very infrequently, because it takes me currently about an hour and a half, minimum, to go from full-resolution PSD unsaved to having a properly-sized JPG to upload to the CG.

Can't wait to see more on your project!

-asp

Thanks, ASP!

You're right in that the older, more forested hills will tend to be less craggy and more rounded.

I, however, am probably not going to find the internal reserves of fortitude I would need to go back and mack those forested hills less craggy...

...Unless... wait... there might be a simple way. I'll have to see.

I might start working on this again in a couple weeks, or it might be after the regular semester gets started toward the end of August. Who knows... depends on when free time re-emerges from the dark place it always runs off to when it sees its own shadow.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you define a selection and then blur it just 1 or 2 pixels it will take out a lot of the cragginess in those selected areas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    If you define a selection and then blur it just 1 or 2 pixels it will take out a lot of the cragginess in those selected areas.
    Yeah, I plan to do something like this, selecting just the regions on what should be the low-hills and blurring the overlay bumpmap layer in those areas a tad. I'll let you all know if that works.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

And I thought I put a lot of thought in my maps.. and then i read the process behind setting up yours..

*inspired*

Thanks for posting all that!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    And I thought I put a lot of thought in my maps.. and then i read the process behind setting up yours..

*inspired*

Thanks for posting all that!
    Hey, that's what this place is for!

I figured... if I'm going to make a real effort at writing a gosh-darn novel in this world, I better be satisfied that this world is as real as I can possibly make it (magic notwithstanding)!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    For climate help try The Climate Cookbook. While your at it look over Creating an Earthlike World on the same site. Very informative, fairly simple.

Hint: The equator isn't so hot a place for deserts. Well... it's hot, but not very dry.
    These links are now broken. Just wanted to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeman40 View Post
    These links are now broken. Just wanted to let you know.
    Here are working links to:-

The Climate Cookbook
    Creating an Earthlike World

Hope this helps!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345