Wip Albion island wip

Here we go
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2albionprotimprovedcities.png 
Views:	261 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	101469
    I am listening to you.

You have a good cartoon style going here (if that is the style you are trying to make, good job). The mountains and forests match nicely.

However, it seems that you have some pixel-sized errors along the edges of the buildings and farms. Also, I think adding some detail to the water would be good.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

My warmest thanks to you. I will improve water, somehow.

Hello Sobacadaw

I think the pixel errors that LC refers to might be a transparency problem with the symbols you are using?

If you are making them yourself as transparent png files by selecting the black background and deleting it, you might improve them a bit by selecting the black background on the original, then growing the selection by one pixel, and then feathering it by one pixel. It gives a very tiny transparent fringe to each symbol, which should be enough to blend it with the background a bit better without that hard black line you have around some of them

What software are you using?

EDIT: here is an example of a spot. In the second image I just selected the black and deleted the background. You can still see some of the black around the edges of the circle. In the third image I grew the selection by a single pixel, then feathered it by a single pixel. The edge of the circle may not seem quite so sharp, but there is much less of a black line around it

Name:  Spot1.png
Views: 126
Size:  3.3 KB

Name:  Spot2.png
Views: 142
Size:  2.8 KB

Name:  Spot3.png
Views: 115
Size:  2.6 KB
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-04-2017 at 12:33 PM.

I could never make buildings that look so good. I haven't an artistic bone in my body.

But your rivers are doing odd things. They are splitting as they approach the sea. They should do the opposite- smaller rivers combine to form larger rivers as they approach the sea. There is a notable exception, though- river deltas, which can form when a river enters a sea through very flat terrain. The Okavango gets talked about a lot here, too- it is odd. Are these supposed to be deltas?

Well, actually I guess I should ask what sort of scale this map is. Then it might be obvious.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Mouse;361334]Hello Sobacadaw

I think the pixel errors that LC refers to might be a transparency problem with the symbols you are using? ---- I dont know, but I think there is a problem with my brush.

What software are you using? ---- Gimp

Thanks for the tip. And my gratitude for the attention.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

I dont have any drawing skills. I just redraw buildings from original pictures and recolour them. I call it - <From 3D to 2D>. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brilliantvkversion.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	102020 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brilliant2flags.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	102021

About rivers - you are right.

Scale? Now it is a nonscale map. Later I will add this. Somehow

Thanks for the answer!

In my opinion, that's a drawing skill in its own right

I really do think that where digital art is concerned, the ability to achieve all the different tasks required to complete a map should be considered to be 'drawing skills' - unless you want to call them 'digital art skills', or 'digi-art-fu'...

You mention using a brush? To me that means you are actually hand painting the background out of the image?

There are lots of different ways of getting rid of the background. None of them are 'wrong', but there are more ways than one to do the job, and some are faster/better than others. It really all depends on the quality of the image and the kind of background you have.

There are also just as many helpful videos about how to do it on GIMP. If you are interested (I don't know what skill level you have, so please forgive me if this is too basic for you) this one shows more methods than most of the others