Thread: September 2013 Entry: Mobile Fortress of the Cult of the Living Shadow

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default September 2013 Entry: Mobile Fortress of the Cult of the Living Shadow

In the world of Shan, society, technology, and culture are breaking down. The planet's ecology is a mess. Folks are dying everywhere, and things seem pretty hopeless in most places. But there are people still doing well for themselves... the Death Cults. Once outlawed and reviled in most places, with the collapse of modern society, people are turning more and more to any perceived chance to last another day... even if it means embracing necromancy and even more vile practices.

Roaming the borderlands and deserts is one particularly strong Death Cult - the Cult of the Living Shadow. Traveling the wastes in their massive landships, the Cult is constantly in search of new converts and, most of all, fuel. Their ships run on the energy of human souls. So huge are the Cult's three mobile fortresses that each houses entire slave societies that live and die within the bowels of the ship, never seeing the light of day. Each ship carries with it a small fleet of tenders, outriders, scouts, and smaller combat vehicles, most powered by more mundane steam engines or even slave-muscle-powered gear engines. But the mobile fortresses are the heart of the Cult - each a city unto itself, hundreds of feet in length, capable of surviving even in the deep deserts where death is all but certain.

WIP to follow...

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

This sounds interesting, can't wait to see the WIP.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Sounds very cool… A bit like a darker version of Philip Reeve's "Mortal Engines"… and I liked those books a lot when I was a kid, so I have big expectations now!

Lingon... do you have any idea how old that makes me feel, considering those books only came out like 10 years ago? ...But they were pretty awesome reads.

On to some WIP - I'm shooting for something that has the look of a mix of a Jawa sandcrawler and a WW1 German tank, like an A7V, only much MUCH bigger.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFCLb.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	57732  

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm sorry, Diamond, didn't mean it that way! Maybe I should have said "when I was an even smaller kid than I am now"

The fortress looks really cool so far, and it's a nice paper texture it's sitting on. I love that font too. Are the big hatches hangars for some sort of aircraft?

The big hatches on the main fuselage are equipment/parts/etc loading hatches; there's a vehicle ingress/egress port in the rear. You've given me a good idea though - I think I'll put an airship/observation ship loading platform on the roof.

The hatches on the circular towers are 'weapons' ports. ...You'll see why I put that in quotes later on.