Thread: September 2013 entry: Palace of the Sultan of Nothing

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default September 2013 entry: Palace of the Sultan of Nothing

I have no idea if I'll get this finished on time, or at all… but inspiration struck, so what to do?

The Sultan of Nothing is maybe an exiled prince, I'm not really sure yet as I just invented him, but anyway, he (or she?) travels a huge desert in a palace/artificial oasis mounted on the backs of four giant animals of some sort, claiming ownership to the desert but is mocked by the rest of the world. Hence the name. More backstory to come… I think…

I made a (very quick, sloppy and design-wise not at all final) sketch, so I'll put that here. My plan is to paint the palace in an isometric view, and maybe a smaller top-down view as well. We'll see how that goes, I don't usually stick to my plans

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Palats1.jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	57707

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Cool idea! ...Although I'd hate to be walking behind that thing after the beasties eat a particularly healthy meal...

I like it! Great idea.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Love this idea...coincidentally a similar idea passed through my head early on since so much of my own campaign takes place in a desert environment.

One thought - what happens when one of those creatures dies or when the palace decides to stop for a period of time? Perhaps you could have some shortened pillars surrounding the animals which serve to both cage them in and make sure that the whole palace doesn't topple over if one dies all of a sudden.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm sorry to say I probably won't be finishing this one… It was a bit of an impulse to enter, and now my dust particle-sized attention span has moved elsewhere And I would probably not have time to finish even if I wanted. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime later though