Thread: First Map Ever

Guild Novice

Wip First Map Ever

Hope everything is working right, this is the first forum I've ever really joined

This is a map that I created to get some thoughts down on "paper". Musing around about a new world, new characters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Partial.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	57733

This is the first time I've ever drawn a map, and I've only really ever fiddled around in PS CS4 before. It's a whole new arena! I know I need to learn a lot about digital art technique and map creation, but I think it's a decent start.

Any advice would be appreciated, but please be gentle

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hi Millie, welcome to our little bunch of mapping misfits.

Great start on that map! Interesting layout, rivers look good, and I like the coloration. The mountains that you've got over on those islands in the SW look pretty awesome.

The only two nitpicks I have are 1) the TOO sharp sharpness of the continental shelves/underwater landforms compared to the (in my opinion) much nicer soft blur land stuff; and 2) I think your landmasses could benefit from a thin stroke, maybe in a dark blue color.

Have some rep for posting a map right off the bat!

Guild Novice

Thanks for the input & rep! Now that I've posted it, all I can see are things that need to be fixed I'd love to practice enough to find out what my personal style is. So many people here have awesome and unique techniques!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    .... Now that I've posted it, all I can see are things that need to be fixed I'd love to practice enough to find out what my personal style is. So many people here have awesome and unique techniques!
    And so another one is snared !!! And it will be the practice that will allow you to develop your style. Like diamond says, you are on your way with this as a start. Nicely done so far. Awaiting to see it develop.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

Not sure how far I will continue with this map. I added some texture (below) based on RPGmapmaker's tutorials. I have just tried too many things on this map, and the styles and textures are getting all jumbled. Despite the smorgasbord of textures, it was a great learning experience and I like the landforms and design of the map. I will likely take what I have and go from there.

Here's the update:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Partial 2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	57748