Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Dragons mouth - steampunk commission

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some progress with a few details added, farmlands, title, districts borders and the border/frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragons mouth4.jpg 
Views:	1761 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	57772

The city name - "Dragons mouth" - should be "Dragon's mouth" to be grammatically correct. That said, language warps over time and especially names tend to change towards the easier-to-spell or easier-to-say variety. "Dragons mouth" or even "Dragonsmouth" could be just as correct. I just think it should be a conscious choice rather than a blunder

The map is awesome (which goes without saying for your maps in general, it seems). You originally said the city would be domed and partially under an overhanging rock. Is the rock anywhere to be seen yet? I can't find any signs of it.

Thanks Maquesh. The client gave me the name Dragons mouth, I'll check it with him to be sure. As for the dome and the overhanging rock, that's not sure that we show it on the main map itself, that would probably make it hardly legible/understable and might go with a little side-view on the bottom left cartouche to show both dome and rock (or possibly a top down view showing mostly the dome and the rock rather than the blocks layout).
    Last edited by - Max -; 09-18-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Looking really good so far Max!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Love it so far! What is your process when making a city like this? I'd like to give city maps a try, but I don't really know where to start.

Thanks guys, I'll post an update with some tweaks later.
    @ Poison : usually I start with a rough draft of the general shape (here, pretty easy since it's a circular city), then draw the streets mesh with main streets and 2 or 3 secondary streets size. This helps me then to fill with buildings blocks and "empty" spaces like plazas, parks or special locations. On a next step I'adjust streets and blocks (especially on denser zones). Once this sketch is done I start drawing the definitive layout and finally work with colors/texture/patterns.

Update : So after some discuss with the client, we decided to change the district borders. Also he fell in love with Sephered's border so I switched with this one and I worked on the small cartouche top-down view map to show the (broken) dome structure and the overhanging rock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragons mouth5.jpg 
Views:	2318 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	57828

The map is now finished here. Thanks for the comments!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12