Thread: trying to learn something new

Default trying to learn something new

HI, my name is dominique, I am a young female cartographer and I'm new to the Guild, I have made a few maps as a hobby but I would love to learn more. I have never made a town/city map and I was looking for a few pointers or suggestions for me to get started on that. Anything would be great, thanks a lot.

It might be worth looking at other maps on here and decide what style you prefer first and also for inspiration on layout and such. Some maps have individual buildings and some just show city blocks (for the larger maps). Then it helps to have an idea of what major buildings will be in the city/town.

Then just draw a road and start from there.

Thanks! I will do that... by the way you are my first comment ever, so you just made my day.

Well my advice for almost anyone just starting out is just put something to paper. Distilled to a basic level a settlement map is boxes next to lines. You can change or revise or redo or fix an existing drawing more easily than you can a blank canvas. Once comfortable with making maps you can start looking into the intricacies of X regional historical town layouts, or how towns developed, or all that more complicated stuff later. It'll be easier to handle too 'cause you can just incorporate those ideas into your next map, which you're already comfortable drawing.

yeah, just telling me to do that is giving me the confidence to get started. I have a lot of really cool ideas for towns and cities but I don't think I will be able to do any of my crazy ideas yet. By the way all your maps are really cool and really well done. I loved them all and thank you for taking the time to give me your advise, you're awesome.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Everyone needs to start somewhere. My first game maps were lets just say lacking in esthetics, but got their point across to my players. Remember you want to make the map look good; however, you need to make sure the map does what it is suppose to do. I look forward to seeing your city / town maps.

Tracker