Thread: First Map, Ascension Atlas Style

Default First Map, Mix from different Styles

Hello,

I found this awesome forum because I wanted to make my own world for my DnD campaign.

So here is my first attempt on a map after the Ascension Atlas Syle tutorial revised by Kindari. I made a part of a continent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-1,0.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	57851

All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. I had issues with the country borders, the magic wand tool always selects the whole continent and I cant figure out why.
    Also I want the rivers a bit more visable (already made them with 4 instead of 2 pixels but they are still pretty invisible).
    And I didnt quite get the light/dark green right, so I can place the darker green (forrests) where I want them, without it looking bad.
    The Mountains need some more work too.

Criticism and help welcome =)

best regards

pabi
    Last edited by Pabi; 10-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.

A nice map and a great first post.

There seems to be a stray mark off the coast of Callatis ... Some sort of a colored line.

With respect to the rivers, have you masked the forest green layer at the river so the blue will show through?
    That's the only thing that I can think of that might have gone wrong.
    Perhaps someone more familiar with the tutorial will have a better idea.
    Last edited by atpollard; 09-25-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks!
    I did remove the stray mark.
    As for the Rivers i think nothing has gone worng there its just the way they look with this way of making the map.
    Maybe someone who is a bit more experienced with this method can correct me if i'm wrong.

Im still thinking about staying with this method or using antoher one.
    I really like the way the finished map looks (aside from the rivers), and the way of making the map is also fun.
    But i dislike the way of coloring/shaping the textures of the land so i cant place e.g. Forrest and Plains/Desserts where I want them.

But maybe someone can tell me antother way to colorize the map instead of the gradient?

Are you comfortable with using layer masks?

If so, then you can create an entire layer of just forest, then paint them where you want them and feather the transition.
    Same for desert, plains, any land cover that you want.

Not really, never used Photoshop much before making maps.

But sounds nice and not that hard? =)

Could you maybe explain how i would do that for the forrests? Would be awesome =)

I've done some more mapping now using a mixture of Ascension Atlas Syle tutorial revised by Kindari and Terrain creation tutorial v1.5 by pasis.

I really like the result, just some more experimenting with the mountains is needed =)
    And I need to find a way to make the mouth of the rivers into the sea a bit more smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-1,0.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	58233  
    Last edited by Pabi; 10-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.