Thread: Baltic Tribes -historical map

Default Baltic Tribes -historical map

The map that i'm going to make is kind of archeologic map of tribes that lived in my Homeland (today North-East part of Poland and piece of Lativa) in early middle ages 1000-1300 a.d. I gathered a lot of info about names of most important wooden forts, names of lands, few battles, border lines etc. It is very important to keep the natural lines of rivers, lakes, and coast line of Baltic Sea. So i have many historical details to include, but still i want the map to be stylized like it was made centuries ago by some monks. I work on photoshop cs6 and illustrator cs6, but i have to admitt that i am newbie and this is my first map. I need technical support, can i count on you guys?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rzeki jaćwieskie Z MAPY FIZYCZNEJ.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	57859 this is start(i have to erase all the names and extract rivers somehow

Name:	001-mapa-650.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	57860 this is it with border lines and names of tribes (names of few forts also)

Name:	bfw_greenisle07_206.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	605.7 KB 
ID:	57861 i'd like to make something in that style

What do you think suggestions pls

Some possible styles to go for:

A rather picturesque map from about 1520. Perhaps something a monk would draw?

A map from ca. 1570 from the Ortelius maps. Rather simple, but quite stylish.

Mid-17th century, Joan Blaeu. Similar style, just more developed.

Or go for something a little more modern... 19th century styles are very well suited to depict political / cultural maps.
    Last edited by Freodin; 09-28-2013 at 02:15 AM.

wow nice maps, thx especially that from Ortelius I could make something like this but adding some hills and more colourful background, I'd use some details from Carta Marina. I mean similliar style symbols but less and made by myself.Well anyway i need some resources like symbols of wooden forts, swamps, woods, hills, texture for land and sea, some symbols of ships (wiking) all i that cool ahistorical style.... and I don't know how to start

Nice start. So the top of those three maps is what you've done and the others from elsewhere? I look forward to seeing this get developed!

Freodin: I love those maps! Nice find!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Nice project tomosawison. I like what you've created so far. I have one suggestion. You've written that you wish to convey a feeling that the map has been created somewhere in the 1000-1300 a.d.. I think that it would be nice to recreate historically accurate coastlines to make the map more authentic. As far as I know Hel Peninsula wasn't a peninsula at all during the period you are interested in, but rather a string of islands. It might be a good idea to include this fact in your final map. Just a suggestion of course. Good luck with your project!