Thread: what is the best program for my needs?

Default what is the best program for my needs?

I'm attempting to create custom 6x6 tiles that I will print and then mount on either foamcore or chipboard to create modular maps for my DnD game. I found a web app called dungeon painter that allows me to create a simple 6x6 tile and add a wall texture to it. After that I've been saving the file and then using microsoft publisher to add additional map elements like tables, chairs, etc. Publisher also works great for cropping and resizing.

This solution doesn't work perfectly for me though. Dungeon Painter has limited texture options for both floors and walls. That's pretty much all I'm using it for currently.

I'm not an artist so I'm not looking to use any of the fancy artist programs. I just want more options when doing the most basic things like using my own floor textures that I find on the net.

What app or web site will provide the basic mechanics for me while still allowing me to use whatever textures I need? Alot of the programs I've looked at are designed to build full maps rather than individual tiles.

I don't use a map application specific program, rather a standard desktop publishing program to do all my professional maps, map objects, map tiles, even RPG print/PDF document design and export. The program I use is powerful and easy to use, but capable of doing any kind of graphics job, not just game maps and tiles. Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 is the application I use ($89.00).

While there are many other solutions, some free like GIMP or Inkscape, those two apps have a pretty steep learning curve, Xara only a slight learning curve. But there are many possible solutions.

Edit: in the end there is no best software. I wrote an article for GMS magazine that I wrote to help you decide which software is best for you, called: The Cartographer's Table: which mapping software is best for you? (which reminds me, I need to write another article).
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-25-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations