Thread: Scrivenport, the Written City

Wip Scrivenport, the Written City

Hello! I'm new to the Cartographer's Guild forums, and I would like to share my first real foray into mapmaking with you. This is a city map I am working on in Campaign Cartographer 3 for a homebrew Pathfinder campaign: Scrivenport, a coastal city of progress with a thriving print industry. I would love comments or critiques on this map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1566 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	57817

Hey there 7eye. I like the overall layout, though the resolution is a bit small to pick out details. One thing that I think you might want to consider is importing this into a graphics program such as GIMP or Photoshop in order to add a bit of depth and texture to the land and water.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice layout. I can tell you've put in a lot of effort, it's a fair sized city.

I concur with Arsheesh on the resolution and just how much texturing can bring a map to life. I also notice that as a coastal city there are several piers, docks, etc. Perhaps a few ships would bring the map a sense of being lived in?

Keep up the good work!

It's very nice, I love all the details. A nice combination of what looks like quite distinctly different districts. There seems to me to be an aura of viligance against attacks, considering the wall placements and the gate.

But it seems odd to only have the one gate. It would SEVERELY hamper any trading if all traffic needs to go though that one gate. Are all the other areas where the city has spread islands? If someone in the top Eastern district wants to just leave the town it would take an hour to just leave the city.

If there's a great reason for the singular gate, consider making those streets into very wide avenues, including the main bridges. Perhaps some smaller bridge of wood to the North East (I guess that's an important district) as well that can easily be burned if there should be an attack on the main gate. Regardless, you'll need very well oiled transports in the city as everything from food to building materials and trade will have to pass these streets.

To be fair though, it doesn't look overly hard to simply land boats and invade from the shores inside the city. Medieval naval warfare was mostly just about dropping off men somewhere.

On the whole, though you've done a great job!