Thread: Map of Evalyst

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Map Map of Evalyst

My first map submitted on this site!

I am not entirely impressed with it. This map was more of a practice session than any real work.

I created the land masses with Sketchbook and imported it into Photoshop. The rest of the map was finished there.

The scene is supposed to display a world map during wartime (as indicated by the terribly done blood splatter). 2000 years earlier, Evalyst suffered massive damage from exploded fragments of it's only moon. The damage caused destruction and tidal waves of immense proportions, which eventually settled to form the craters and lakes.

Eventually I will add more details. A legend and scale lines and such but it is fine for now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hope you all enjoy!

Copyright © 2013 All rights reserved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Smaller.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	57932  
    Last edited by jljansen; 09-25-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Overall, that looks fantastic. The look of the continents with the craters is really well-done and authentic looking, the colors look great as does the 'bumpiness' of the terrain, and the way the map 'lays' on the table looks very seamless and natural.

For critiques, I'd say my main gripe is the drop shadow you used on the land; it makes the continents seem to float over the map, ruining the effect somewhat. Same on the compass in the upper left. I also don't dig that sword; too big, too bright, too distracting. I think you're fine with the just the feathers and compass/amulet.

Have some rep though, cause that map is great!

Guild Novice

Yeah, I was unsure about the drop shadow, I guess I just felt the map seemed too flat compared to the rest of the scene.

Thanks, though, I appreciate it!