Thread: Select steep areas on a map with Wilbur

Guild Applicant

Help Select steep areas on a map with Wilbur

Hey guys!

I'm totaly new to map making/modifying and therefore need your help as I can't solve this problem on my own..

As the title already says I'm using Wilbur with and HeightMap and I want to select or mark areas that slope or get steeper within specific degrees. So let's say I want all areas marked with an elevation between 40 and 90%.

I already tried to use Texture -> Shader Setup -> Slope but I can't find out how to adjust the values in order to get what I want.
    I also tried Select -> From Terrain -> Facing direction but I have the same problem here too, as I don't know which values to enter.

I hope you guys can help me!

Best regards,

rep

The angle computations in Wilbur are a bit, ummm... Inaccurate is incorrect, but they certainly aren't in anything like human units, especially for the elevation angles. Computing elevation angles requires knowing what the distance between samples is in the same units as the values of the samples (e.g. if heights are in meters, the distances would need to be in meters as well). Wilbur doesn't correctly compute the inter-sample spacing, instead using a half-vast inter-pixel computation that's good enough for lighting, but not good enough for GIS-style uses. It's on the list of things to look at, but the development version of Wilbur has far more pressing needs at the moment...
    Last edited by waldronate; 09-26-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the fast answer!

Okay good to know it doesn't really work out. I thought I was too stupid to set the correct values now I'm feeling better