Thread: Castelpèregrin

Question Castelpèregrin

After lurking for a while on that board, made an attempt to map the home town of my B/X PbP, Castelpéregrin. The result is here :

I attempted to mimic the style of the frecnh rpg Maper and writer Patrick Durand-Peyroles, very well known among the french-speaking oldschoolers. Any advice ?

Hello, welcome! I really enjoy this type of city map. Clean but not without character! Some points:
    - To me it isn't clear what the line at the right is. I assume it's a river? Could be a border. Seems to be labeled as a necropolis?
    - I'd get rid of the 'blobby' texture in the buildings. Like this they look like sand dunes to me, and I assume that's not the intention.
    - It might be a bit more realistic to keep a couple of 'main roads' in mind: fairly straight, slightly larger roads around which the city grew which often connect major points. For instance, imagine a trader with a cart having to manouver his way from the gates to the market square now...
    - Speaking of roads, maybe map the roads outside the city gates, too? And is there only one entrance?

Definitely good work for a first map, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks a lot ! I made a few of these maps, trying to capture the spirit of the french rpg cartographer Patrick Durand-Peyroles. I have still a lot to lern, among all doing realstic cliffs (yes, the line was suppsoed to be a cliff, my plaers asked the same question). I'll post a few more.

Guild Apprentice

I like this one (oh, sure, welcome aboard!).
    Probably the "cliff" is the only element i would definitely change, because is somehow difficult to understand.
    About the city plan, however, i think we need to focus on terrain: where the city was built? If i make a comparison between Turin, Rome and Siena, i see that turin was made by romans on flat terrain, with straight roads, intesecting at 90 degrees; Rome grew around the seven hillls and the Tevere, and you see a pretty complex urban structure, the more recent part rational and the older... Well, a mess :d ; and Siena, is a tipical middleage italian hill settlement, whose streets are disposed like irregular onion rings around the central place (piazza del campo).

So, what's the story of your town? Where is it?
    Knowing the answers you will understand if there are "flaws" in the layout!

I wait for further development