Thread: New to Cartography!

Default New to Cartography!

Hey guys and gals of the Cartographer's Guild! I was brought to your lovely website by searching for a way to commission a fantasy map for a fantasy series i am intent on writing. After looking around on here, i decided to tackle it on my own with the help of your very informative tutorials! Here is my first attempt at a map - with IMHO very good results thanks to your informative tutorials! Constructive criticism is very much welcome, as I would love to have this printed as a poster once i feel it has been completed to its fullest potential. Once again, hello, and i'm proud to be a member of this community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artigeld.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	57958

Hi, Bigbubby212. I also came here about commissioning a map (well, seeing what the process was like in case I decided to try later) and ended up liking the site so much that I decided to try becoming an amateur cartographer. I hope we can both gain some great skills from this wonderful place. I see you're already making some progress. That map looks much better than the one I made before I found Cartographer's Guild!

Guild Novice

Great map so far! You have a good grasp on the natural coast lines. One thing I can point out is the water texture and the surrounding brown...clouding?...distracts from the overall look. You might consider doing away with the brown and putting in a unique border and tone down the water texture a bit. Otherwise, good work and welcome to the site!