Thread: Greetings from Montana...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from Montana...

This has got to be one of the coolest sites I've come across. I've always considered myself more of an organic artist, in the form of monsters and animals, but in recent years I'm realizing a real love for and fascination in topography. I spend a lot of time just looking at geological formations on Google Earth and when it comes to fiction, I get excited whenever it's accompanied with a detailed map.

But no fandom has driven me to care about the details of a world like the novels, Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. I could have avoided drawing maps and not gone seeking more knowledge, but I really can't walk away now until I make a map that fixes some canonical conflicts and issues to the best of my satisfaction.

I'm here in the hopes of learning about programs, learning techniques and improving as an artists. I am just entering the wonderful world of cartography, and I'm just thrilled there's a site full of such enthusiastic people to learn from and observe!

A few irrelevant facts about me: I live in Montana, I'm going to college for Media Arts and Animation and I have way too many hobbies. Welp, that's it!

Guild Novice

Welcome! The amount of tutorials and know-how here is overwhelming. The high level of professionalism people achieve on this site always inspires improvement, even when we think we are at our best. I hope you enjoy your time here and I cant wait to see your creations!

Quote Originally Posted by jljansen View Post
    Welcome! The amount of tutorials and know-how here is overwhelming. The high level of professionalism people achieve on this site always inspires improvement, even when we think we are at our best. I hope you enjoy your time here and I cant wait to see your creations!
    Thank you for the warm welcome and words of encouragement! Indeed, I've already seen so many breathtaking maps, and I really have hardly browsed yet. Composition and organization is something I aim to learn and improve on most, and hopefully I'll have something to show soon for feedback and criticism. I couldn't agree with you more. If it's one thing I've learned from constant practice at other objectives, we're always able to do ourselves one better.