Thread: First map: Middle-Earth during the Third Age

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Map First map: Middle-Earth during the Third Age

Here's my first creation, a map of Middle-Earth. Not very original, I know, I know...
    Anyway, the original file is well over 100Mb, around 10k x 7k at 300ppi.

It was done using PS and Wilbur.

Comments and Critique welcome...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smallish.png 
Views:	2560 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	58005

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Perhaps not original, but it looks very well done! If a bit grainy, maybe… I'd love to see a bigger version!

Default Re: First map: Middle-Earth during the Third Age

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Perhaps not original, but it looks very well done! If a bit grainy, maybe… I'd love to see a bigger version!
    Thanks. Grainy, yes, because I applied an Artistic Filter in PS to even things out and make it look more "drawn" instead of composited... I left out so many names because Tolkien named just about any minor detail, but I feared it would make the map too busy and would have distracted, as well as become illisible even at the original size...

Update: Original size can be had at my dropbox

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Olvyr; 09-28-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Wow, I downloaded it and viewed it full size, and the graininess disappeared completely! It's a really cool look you have achieved actually, it's unfortunate that it doesn't come across when zoomed out. I'd recommend taking advantage of that, and adding more locations. At that size you can put in quite a lot without making it too crowded, especially if you make the font a little smaller. I also suggest that you change the texture for the ocean – it works really well to convey vegetation, soft hills, and sharp mountains, but it doesn't read as waves to me. Not sure what to replace it with though, so not very useful advice maybe

Anyway, this is a great map. Have some rep.

Default Re: First map: Middle-Earth during the Third Age

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Wow, I downloaded it and viewed it full size, and the graininess disappeared completely! It's a really cool look you have achieved actually, it's unfortunate that it doesn't come across when zoomed out. I'd recommend taking advantage of that, and adding more locations. At that size you can put in quite a lot without making it too crowded, especially if you make the font a little smaller. I also suggest that you change the texture for the ocean – it works really well to convey vegetation, soft hills, and sharp mountains, but it doesn't read as waves to me. Not sure what to replace it with though, so not very useful advice maybe

Anyway, this is a great map. Have some rep.
    Thanks for the comments! I might get back to it some time these days and see what I cn come up with...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

A blank (un-annotated) and a b/w Version can be downloaded (full size) at my dropbox also.
    Enjoy.

Guild Novice

Well I love Middle Earth, and this is a very cool map