Thread: The Island of Escand

Wip The Island of Escand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Escand.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	68081
    Hello everyone!
    This is the first map I made so far, so I'm still "new" in that way. I wanted to share it with you and discuss about it. I'm sure there will be thousand of things I can improve or change to make it look better, so please, if you can spare some of your time with a comment/critique I'd appreciate it a lot!
    The map was made using Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6 (for icons, heralds and compass) a graphic tablet and a lot of patience

Thanks to OldGuy and his tutorial about Realistic Coastlines that helped me during the very first steps of this creation!

Enjoy!

For a first map that sure looks great. However, I do feel the need to point out about rivers and the fact they rarely fork and when they do it hardly stays in that state for long. So if realism is your goal you might want to examine your rivers.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html
    Last edited by Iggy; 10-01-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added link to tutorial.
    WIP - My world map (now with tectonic plates. Or something that remotely resembles them.)
    WIP - Ivaerus continent - A fresh new struggle in making a continental map.

Nice point and yes, I want it to look realistic, so I am going to correct them!
    Thanks for the link, I'm taking a look at it!

Welcome to the Guild

I love the textures and colours you have used; they blend together very well. This is an excellent first map.
    Iggy is right about the river though...just the rivers, and the map would be awesome!

Guild Apprentice

It looks lovely!
    If I were to nitpick I wonder if the forests are a little bright for the rest of the quite earthy colour palette? That is really just a nitpick though. Nice work.

Banned User

Personally, I like the bright green, I think it's a nice counterpart to the bright red of the structures and towns. I do wonder why you use two different greens, though. One shade of green for all forests is plenty.

Nice map!

That's really good, so my only 2 cents advice would be that the "Reign of Danar" shield seems too bright in my eyes (compared to the others and the rest of the map). Some labels are a bit difficult to read, but I guess that it's just because you didn't posted the map at its full size.
    Very nice map anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by whump View Post
    It looks lovely!
    If I were to nitpick I wonder if the forests are a little bright for the rest of the quite earthy colour palette? That is really just a nitpick though. Nice work.
    Hmm, it may be, but it doesn't seem out of place for me. Let's see if someone else has the same impression. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Personally, I like the bright green, I think it's a nice counterpart to the bright red of the structures and towns. I do wonder why you use two different greens, though. One shade of green for all forests is plenty.

Nice map!
    I used two colours because of the trees I wanted to represent. The northern ones are darker because I wanted to show they are winter trees (such as pines) while the others are standards one.
    Do you think they look bad that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That's really good, so my only 2 cents advice would be that the "Reign of Danar" shield seems too bright in my eyes (compared to the others and the rest of the map). Some labels are a bit difficult to read, but I guess that it's just because you didn't posted the map at its full size.
    Very nice map anyway!
    Yes yes, I said the same once I finished the map, but I needed other opinions. It's indeed too bright, I will desaturate it in the next update
    About the labels, you can't read it because I resized the map from its original size to match the upload limits. I couldn't reduce the image quality or the jpg makes a really crappy effect around the edges of small items on the map, especially around the text. Damn compression