Thread: The maps I've made are too big for my computers scanner....

Guild Novice

Question The maps I've made are too big for my computers scanner....

So, I found this site, I think is great.

I would like to post some of the hand drawn maps that I've made for my DnD world, but they are dramatically bigger than my computer's scanner....

This is my first go at map making and I drew all my maps on postal shipping paper (the brown paper that comes in rolls you can get at crafting stores). I thought it was a good idea, looks nice and my friends seem to enjoy the look of it, but its completely useless if I want to show you over the web...

any ideas on copying them into digital files?
    aside for starting over completely, or drawing smaller maps?

You might try laying them flat on the floor and taking a picture of them with a digital camera. Getting the lighting right so the map appears visible without funky shadows or glare might take some experimentation, but it should be doable. You can probably pull it off with your cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
    You might try laying them flat on the floor and taking a picture of them with a digital camera. Getting the lighting right so the map appears visible without funky shadows or glare might take some experimentation, but it should be doable. You can probably pull it off with your cellphone.
    It's good only if the map if small, but in that case, a scanner would be better. The problem with that is the poor quality since your map is really big. Well actually, it is possible but you need more than one shot. It could work if you can manage to take picture at a 90 degree angle always at the same distance.

Otherwise, have you considered cutting it in smaller pieces in order to fit them in the scanner? I 'm not sure if you are willing to do that. My map was just a draught when I did this but with a completed map, I would have been more reluctant.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It could work if you can manage to take picture at a 90 degree angle always at the same distance.
    Set the camera on a tripod (or something else that's secure) and aim it directly down at a large flat surface with decent lighting on it. Lay your map under the camera and take multiple shots if necessary. You can stitch them together if you feel like it, but seeing something in pieces is better than not seeing it at all. Or, you could also drag the map slowly from one end to the other under the camera and record it on video if you prefer (and if you have something to capture video).
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice

Thank you for your prompt replies everyone. I'll start experimenting with my camera. Hopefully I'll have something to post soon!
    Last edited by twostepsahead; 09-30-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo

It's also possible you could have it scanned or photographed at a Kinko's or similar shop. I'm not sure exactly how big your paper is, or exactly what the capabilities of a print shop like that would be, but I know they routinely handle architects' documents, which are pretty big.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Right on. I'll look into it.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    There is a free photo stitcher called 'Hugin' online. Make scans with lots of overlap and it will stitch them together into one large file for you.
    Here is a tutorial for an older version: Hugin tutorial ? Stitching flat scanned images

-Rob A>