Thread: I want to share my first filter for gimp to create maps on gimp, grass and sea

Default I want to share my first filter for gimp to create maps on gimp, grass and sea

Hi, after about a month I read tutorials here about how to create maps, I realized there is no chance I could remember any of them. I toyed a bit with the tools to get something faster which was still quite complicated. Finally, I decided to group my insights into filters. I post here the first one I created. It is simple to use and generally speaking, follow RobA tutorial.

Create a new image (I used and test 500x500 with 200 dpi resolution) and fill it with white color. Then, paint on it with solid pencil with black and fill the area you want to be land. When that is done, apply the filter and wait a couple of seconds.

That's it.

A link to the script page at gimp plugin registry you can download the file from there. I also attached the script here.

The attached figure in black and white is the input image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grass_in.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	58071
    And this is the result

Name:	grass_out.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	58072

I would like to here your thoughts and how can Improve this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I changed the script a little. It run faster now, and I like the result better. I think that the new version yield a map with more character to it. Here is the new version along with before-after sample.

The script
    grass_and_sea_texture.py.zip
    before

Name:	before.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	58135

after

Name:	after.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	58136
    Last edited by yotama9; 10-03-2013 at 02:36 AM.

RobA, Cool.

I'm new to this forum, I didn't no about this subforum.

I have a new version to this script, I cannot say I follow your tutorial, but I follow the same approached. The thing that bothered me the most was that the bump map generated parallel lines.

Here is a the new version zip file and a link to a sample before - after image.

An important comment, you need to rename the downloaded script file, and remove the ``.txt`` addition. The gimp plug-ins registry add this for it own reasons.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for sharing!!