Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilbur questions for Waldronate

Blog Entries

Yeah thats basically all it is. Its a colour file that is a texture that is stretched over the tile / terrain. E.g.

Just put color.png into the same dir next to your height.hf2 file and the exe and run it up. Theres no U in color.png or color.bmp - I caved into the Americanism this time. My post above #9 was incorrect for having it. I ought to make it look for both of them in some kind of sequence till it finds something it can use - but right now I dont think it does.

EDIT - please see examples:

README
    height.hf2
    color.png

Put into dir with DragonFlight then run it up. Use right click "save as" to save files.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Wonderful, thanks! The source of my problems appears to have been using a BMP for the colour file - when I changed it to a PNG, the problem disappeared.

This is an excellent little utility - it gives the basic 3D model with nice shading options and good camera/flyover control without going into 3D rendering options, which is precisely what I was looking for. That it effectively allows shading the height field with any regular flat map is a huge advantage, making it a very powerful tool indeed.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction. I'm going to make good use of DragonFlight in the very near future.

Blog Entries

Thanks its just my debugging tool for my terrain generator since it doesnt have a user interface. I think Wilbur and DragonFlight would be a good combo if the preview on Wilbur is not what you require. I know that Monks uses Wilbur as part of the voodoo in generating the base terrain for MeDem and I use DF for the debugging of some of the tiles in later stages. I used to use a BMP file for the heights and colour but now I use HF2 and PNG. So maybe some bug has crept into the BMP side of things. I will check it but I would stick to PNGs.

OK, what am I doing wrong? I can't even get Wilbur to open a grayscale BMP file. I get these errors:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error1.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	63533

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	63534

It's a grayscale elevation map of Venus, 32MB.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-26-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Try PNG instead.

Awesome- using a PNG version worked fine. Thanks! Now to do some experiential learning...

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Totally coincidentally I got that same message today, and it was caused in Photoshop by saving as one file type while keeping the extension of another. I didn't even know that was possible, but it happened. I reloaded he offending images into Photoshop and saved them out as proper PNGs, and they worked fine thereafter. Could you possibly have done the same thing, acrsome?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12