Thread: Mapmaker from the age of 8

Default Mapmaker from the age of 8

I have been fascinated with maps and have been drawing maps since I was in second grade. Unfortunately, within the past decade, I have developed map-block, and cannot get my hand-drawn maps to progress any further than a boring grid.

I am hoping to get some inspiration from all of your wonderful work and learn how to draw maps on the computer.

I am xotoxi.

Welcome to the Guild! This is definitely the place to learn and gain inspiration. I hope that you break down your map-block, so we can see some of your work.

Welcome!

I've never heard the term "map block"; maybe I just haven't been here long enough. By "boring grid", do you mean you draw an empty grid and can't think of what to do, or do you mean that everything you draw looks too grid-like?

Default Re: Mapmaker from the age of 8

Quote Originally Posted by Triplicate View Post
    Welcome!

I've never heard the term "map block"; maybe I just haven't been here long enough. By "boring grid", do you mean you draw an empty grid and can't think of what to do, or do you mean that everything you draw looks too grid-like?
    I made up the term map-block...sort of like writer's block.

And by empty grid, I mean both of the above. I start out with a nice road pattern, but then my side streets end up as straight lines, then grids, then the map gets thrown away.

I think I'll try something on the computer. The work I have seen on here is truly inspiring.

I wasn't thinking "road map", because most of the maps I look at aren't. I was trying to figure how it could apply to natural features.

Welcome to the Guild xotoxi! I concur Domino44; hopefully after spending some time here you'll regain your inspiration.

Cheers,
    -Arshesh