Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: {WIP Commission} ScienceFantasy Continental Map

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I actually quite like that blue/orange transition. I agree with vorro about the outer glow though; why didn't you put it around the northern bits?

I like the direction you're going with this; I think my only real issue is that the coasts seem... too plain? I don't know if I can explain what I mean correctly. On Jared Blando's recent Hyranden map, for example, he has a darker, thicker spattering effect along every coastline that helps balance all the mountains and stuff in the interior. While I like your mountains a lot, the coasts seem too pale and empty and open. Of course maybe you're planning to add all sorts of things in there, in which case I'll shut up now.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

@ Vorro: Well I don't hide the Truth. Colored Maps just sells better. This kind of style I develloping are strongly influenced by Torstan, EpicRed, Djekspek, -Max-, Viking and some others. Its not a sellout, at least for me. I was an am a Gamer first, loved early Square Soft Games like MysticQuest/Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana. Also, the old Zelda Games influenced me in a strong way. This all, in most iterations do have colorfull maps. There are two historical traditions I value:
    Art-History
    &
    Game-History

And i wanted to mention the Southern Domain. Its the Direct successor to the Arden Map, or do you Not see it that way? I agree, the climate transition here is over the top, but within its Topology of Gaming Maps. I want to create several styles and still devellope my Blaeu inspired style within the Southern Domain.

@D.:
    Yes I will work in the coasts, its not finished yet.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I like the transition, it gives the map an interesting touch!

Yes, I was inspired from some of your last Colored Regio maps too, regarding the tint of the Colors.

Good to have you back, SK.

Not sure if i like your fancy-color style. I think you had a nice style of your own going before.
    Can we please have a higher resolution so that we can zoom in? I'd like to take a closer look at the forests. The mountain shapes are very good, as always..even if i'm not too fond of the coloration.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

@Eilathen: Whats wrong with those colorstyle?

Thats one of my styles too. Its just that I dont want to purely do the same all time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12