Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: {WIP Commission} ScienceFantasy Continental Map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Default {WIP Commission} ScienceFantasy Continental Map

Lately I have grown unsatisfied with my way of mapping, feeling something is lacking. So I went on start talking to some of the Guildmembers, whose maps I like. Its sometimes hard to except critics if you cant see, why its critisised but I slowly understand, when my inner barriers soften up. Now I think I am ready to work on new paths, and revision some old ways with new eyes.

After long hours or short feedbacks spend discussing maps with Ramah, Vorro, -Max-, Viking and Clercon, therefore I thank them for their contribution to my devellopement.

Here is a reuse of old elements (old...? only a few months) to create a new colorstyle for a commissioned Map.
    I tried to blend in Mountains and terrain more and am happy with this painterly style and will devellop it more.

C&C welcome
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 10-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Indeed, nice blending here, glad to see some advices are useful Looks like you started with some consistent style, looking forward to seeing the progress on it.

looks like a really good start!
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Schwar its really nice.
    I liked the transition btw the ice and the earth, if not ask for much, can you share how you did in this work? Some tips, coz i am working in one map that need the same transition.

Thanks and Congratz.

Basicly the transition is just done with a soft round eraser tool. Nö magic here.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

i cant understand, i just cant do the color transition... i never did it before, that is why i cant undestand.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

If I may... Use two background layers, erase one with a soft brush to make the transition with the one below.

What Max saying is, the way I do that, but also lots of layers with textures and stuff. On very different Blending modes, and try masking for non destructive Mapping.

Here is the implementation of the Forests.

Its hard to find teh righjt balance of size and flow, with theses. Its still icons of forests but so small the start to merge into a more solid forest.
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 10-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

nice transition between the mountains and the land, but im not too keen on the gradient from blue to orange on the colour. it seems too stark and glaring. if its something the commissioner requested fair enough but otherwise id tone it down somewhat. looks too 'artificial' to me, if that makes any sense.

also, is there a particular reason why the arctic region has no white outer glow like the rest of the map? i quite like the glow.

you seem to be slowly veering from gritty to more cartoony maps. is this a concious choice>? perhaps i use the word cartoony incorrectly, but while techincally well-executed (better than i probably could) i think i prefer the style used on your cartographer's choice map, for instance, which is more gritty and 'realisitc'. of couse not all maps need to be the same, setting and other factors should determine that rather than 1 guys opinion but ive noticed this slow change over time and was just wondering if youre concious of it.
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 10-04-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast