Thread: Vorenum Vaults (testing style)

Guild Applicant

Wip Vorenum Vaults (testing style)

Hey there, first actual post on the forums.
    This is a map of the Vorenum Vaults, the first tier. I made this to test styles, its still a WIP due to no key or objects in the map. I am looking for constructive criticism if you have any!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DungeonMap1.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	68754

The Vorenum Vaults were closed a long time ago, but rumor got around that something was heard in them... so they were reopened again.
    There are 3 entrances to the vaults and one way down to the next level, the black pit near the logo. I plan to make more levels once I get more time.
    Last edited by Xixyme; 10-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Love the old school style. My only criticism is that the cross hatching around the outside varies a lot in size, as its intended to look hand produced it doesn't make a lot of sense that someone would keep a huge variety of different sized pens around for for some simple shading.

Guild Applicant

Here, I fixed up the cross-hatching and changed a bit of shading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DungeonMapUpload.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	68791

I like your use of cross-hatching and the design is a good use of space. The background texture and use of arrows are great touches.

I would recommend using a thinner line for your details inside the spaces (i.e. not the walls). The thick lines are great for your walls but I would recommend a different thickness for your elevations. Additionally you might consider some shading for your 'pit' in the room above the title.

As a personal preference, I would increase the lightness (brightness?) of the chambers to set them further apart from the background. Perhaps adding a white layer that's cut out to match your chambers and tunnels and set the opacity to like 20%?

Just a thought.

-GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.