Thread: Nice to meet you!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Nice to meet you!

Hello all! It is great to be here and I hope to talk with you guys soon. I am very new to map making. I have been writing fantasy for over 10 years, though. I have always sketched out very rough approximations that you might consider calling maps, if only to help me better understand the story I am writing. But now I am really getting into cartography and I want to start drawing real, beautiful maps. Thing is, I am only really interested in pen and paper right now. I hope that is ok. Probably some day I will get into using the programs, but as of now, I am more insterested in doing the work by hand. I was actually wondering if there is anyone else here who prefers drawing this way? If so, I would love to chat sometime, maybe pick up some tips or something. I have been practicing isometric mountains for the last 4 days... anyway, nice to meet you all! look forward to viewing your amazing work.

-Endyr

I do both kinds, I just never really post my hand drawn maps here - I don't really have all that good of a scanner.
    But what i'd recommend, is just picking up good pen habits, keeping your pen straight (for the most part) and all that good guff.
    As always, Welcome to the guild!

There are indeed some by-hand cartographers here. Not me, but I think most of the City of Galastan was done by hand. (The legend was made digitally, according to the cartographer, Blaidd Drwg.) It's actually one of the currently featured maps on the home page. I'm sure there are others who draw by hand and post their work.

Guild Novice

I'm also relatively new to this site. I have many more drawings and sketches not posted here and on <deviantart.com>, and I've been drawing by hand only as long as I've been making maps, really. I am sure it is alright to proceed that way, but I recommend not limiting to pens. Markers are awesome, too.

Guild Novice

Haha! Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. I happen to have a few markers lying around I believe. thanks for the warm welcome all, I appreciate it and it's nice to meet you. Hope we can talk more soon.

Welcome to the Guild Endyr! Hand drawn maps here are not common, but there are a few folks that do them, and it is always a treat to see them. There are some tutorials over in the tutorials section that discuss tips for hand drawing maps. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh