Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Long Night

Ooh, this looks terrific Diamond! You always do great work, but this map is particularly attractive.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Can i pleeease have back the triangle mountains??! (something i never thought i'd say... )

As always, great shapes and colors...but this caterpillar-style...it just does not work for me.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Well done - as others have said, I like the colors. I think you're right though the black text is too dark, brown would look better and give it a more aged look.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ilanthar: Thanks. Wasn't sure if the shields would meet with approval or not.

Lingon: Hmm. The color isn't appreciably darker on the bottom half as far as I can tell; I did a color swatch grab and looked at the values and they're almost identical...

arsheesh: Thanks!

Eilathen: Sorry man, you're stuck with 'em.

galdre: I decided to stay with black, but I increased the spacing on the text and I think it helps. I'll post an update tonight or tomorrow.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hurray for the caterpillar mountains!

Hey Diamond, this is looking pretty nice! I really like the heraldry so far though I'm not sure about the sketch marks surrounding each one. I especially like the eagle shield! The colouration and texture are pretty appealing too! Maybe for the elevation show lines instead of the so called caterpillar marks? Also, maybe try making your elevation lines have less regularity in terms of distance between the lines.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a good point Viking, regarding the regularity of the spacing. I'm going to redo them with a little different look that hopefully will show that a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Hurray for the caterpillar mountains!
    Boooh!! Why is there no dislike-button?! ......

Eilathen: Sorry man, you're stuck with 'em.
    Aw, damn! Well, all i can do now is hope that you'll return to real moutains real soon...

On a more serious note : i get that on maps that are supposed to be of a more modern age, it makes sense to do mountains in a different style. But to be honest, i think in that case the more photo-realistic approach is way better than caterpillars (for example your mountains in the Bronze Sea map are very cool looking and of a more modern map kind of style). It's just that those caterpillars really detract me from the rest of the map...it makes the map very busy and still does not clearly convey "mountains".
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Beautiful map! I love The Three Seas, awesome work!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Lingon: Hmm. The color isn't appreciably darker on the bottom half as far as I can tell; I did a color swatch grab and looked at the values and they're almost identical...
    Now that's odd I guess I'm over-sensitive to values… or something… Or, it means that it was the location of the fold that was bugging me. But then, it doesn't make much sense to fold a map in any other way than half, so you can probably ignore my ramblings

By the way, I like the mountains. It's a really good (and quite unique, as far as I can tell) idea to combine the caterpillars and height curves. Gives these maps a lot of flavor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast