Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Long Night

I love it, and I'm a fan of the caterpilliars (since that seems to be the most polarizing issue here). I was wondering how you did the multiple outline effect on the coasts? It's really cool, and I'd like to play around with it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well now, that's pretty easy... Pilgrim [/John Wayne]

I always start out with a black and white base map, where the land is white, the sea is black. I make a selection of the land on a new layer and blur it very slightly, so that the coastal rings/lines aren't too sharp and precise. I expand that selection by two pixels, fill it with white, set the fill of the layer to 0%, then add a 1-pixel interior stroke. The other two lines are made by making two more layers, expanding the selection to 4 pixels on the second layer, 6 pixels on the third layer.

Then I make the innermost ring/line layer's opacity 75%, 50% on the second layer, 25% on the third layer. Then merge all three layers and you're done. Sometimes I'll lower the opacity of this merged layer a bit if it seems too dark.

Edit: The black coastline sits on it's own layer; you may have to alter the depth of the initial selection to reflect how close you want the innermost line to be to the coast.

Count me as another fan of those mountains.

a very beutiful work, thanks for that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123