Thread: a postcard with an ancient map reproduction (from '30s)

Guild Apprentice

Default a postcard with an ancient map reproduction (from '30s)

I am working in the Academy of the Lincei of Rome (the academy founded in the seventeenth century by Federico Cesi, and that had among its members Galileo Galilei), and at the moment I'm dealing with the personal archives of Guglielmo Marconi.

Among the many letters I see every day, there are many greeting cards that came from all over the world, and one in particular intrigued me (more than one actually, but usually it comes to subjects that may be of little interest to this forum).

The image is bad, but it was taken in poor environmental conditions.
    It is a postcard sent in 1934, from UK, and the text as you see refers to a London map of the Sixteenth century, which I have not yet had time to try to identify: i thought maybe someone would find it interesting.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

that's quite cool actually. i always like 15th - 16th century maps, particularly of london. good stuff

EruSlime, you have just become my favourite person. Not only do you have my dream job, you have given me exactly what I've been looking for. I am in the process of writing an archaeology thesis about London in the sixteenth century. I have been studying the city for a year, and I have not seen this map in any other books I've encountered. I will definitely try to use it.

If you find out any more about this map, I would love to hear about it (it might be best to PM me, if you do). I'm in your debt.

Guild Apprentice

TheHoarseWhisperer: i have sent you a PM, with more images. Let me know...