Thread: Howdy

Post Howdy

Howdy folks,

You can see the name so I should not have to mention it. Glad to be aboard and hopefully I will learn a lot. Do not know much about mapping and have only done it a tool for GM'ing. Yes I am a gamer and I have a lot of interest in Fantasy maps.

Just recently picked up Gimp for do my maps and have been playing around with it. Thanks RobA for your tutorial...it really helped me get started. So I am still working in the basics. Have seen some of the gorgeous maps here, hopefully I can get even a tenth as good.

Enough for now Cya

Same here. ^^ I just started and I would like to draw a map for the book I'm writing. These maps here are amazing, I hope I can draw a map like those one day.

Welcome! You are braver than me. Gimp is not my friend...

RS, I am still at the point that I have to follow the tutorials to the letter. Still figuring out how the layers work, how masks work, you know all the stuff you need to know before I can go off on my own. Then there is the tweaking and what the different settings do within the mechanics of the program. I am learning a little at a time on what the tweaks do and what can be expected, but overall I am getting there.

I am thinking with a little patience you will get there as well. Just start with one thing first and follow the tutorials. As I mentioned RobA does a really good one on how to get started with the land masses and build them up. Do not get me wrong, there was a place or two where I looked at his tutorial and went, "Huh? What the heck is he talking about", but I figured it out. Just take one step at a time and practice with it until you have mastered that one step. Be sure to save your work in steps. When working on the base of my land masses I saved at every step within the tutorial where I had a saved map under a different name for each step.

Once I got the land mass I was happy with I had a base I could work with so that I could continue with the other land formations such as Mountains, which I am currently working on.

Welcome to the Guild Tulgurth!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh