Thread: Meatface Trader Outpost - A Goblin Poacher Complex

Post Meatface Trader Outpost - A Goblin Poacher Complex

This is my first real attempt at creating my own battlemap. I'm a novice when it comes to map making. Prior to this my only experience was trying to (and often failing to) follow tutorials written by others. This map is the result of my first serious effort to combine some tricks and skills I learned from various tutorials. I used GIMP exclusively to make it.

The idea behind it was to make a large scale battlemap. An issue I've found with most battlemaps is the lack of size. In the game I most play (Pathfinder) the composite longbow has a range of 110ft just as a standard range, nevermind shooing further out into the range increments of 300ft+. Most battlemaps I've found have been small maps focused around a single object which don't allow ranged weapons to have much of an advantage when you can simply cross the map and get into melee combat in a single turn.

The structures in the center are supposed to be 'beast pens' of sorts. Where the goblin poachers keep rare and exotic beasts they've captured to sell or trade. The buildings on either side of the pens are supposed to be goblin warrens. Small, confusing, ramshackle buildings that make up the living quarters of the poachers who inhabit the site.

I purposely left the map devoid of decorations like beds, tables, torches, ect... because I feel like it makes the map more flexible when the GM can simply decide what purpose each room/building has at his own discretion. Specifically this was designed for use in Roll20.net which makes it easy to simply add in decorations that the GM would prefer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meatface Trader Outpost.jpg 
Views:	953 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	58252

Anyway I'm looking for all sorts of feedback! Do you like the map? Do you think I should keep making more of the same sort? How do you think I could improve future maps? What would you have done differently? Do you have any specific tips to make my map look better?

Hi Dreadloch-

Both posts were in the mod queue, so I approved this one and deleted the duplicate in the finished map forum, as you do ask for feedback... I can move it over there if preferred.....Just drop a line...

Nice map on your first post! Welcome!

-Rob A>

I think this is an extremely good battlemap, and if you were a novice before then you certainly aren't now!

The colours and textures are very well chosen and work perfectly here. I totally agree with the reason behind the map (archers and the flexible rooms) and feel that you achieved exactly what you set out to. The map is simple and uncluttered, yet strategically interesting. I really like how the central complex stands out with its sandy-coloured floor. Your trees (trees are notoriously hard to get right) fit in with the rest of the map perfectly.

The only criticism I have (and I had to search for it!) is
    1) the doors are hard to spot due to lack of contrast with the walls.
    2) there are some errors outside the southeast corners of the some of the rooms of the southwest complex (diagonal white line).
    3) I feel the tower mutli-level cutout could be improved - its currently very large compared to the map and actually detracts from the main encounter area. Also its not 100% obvious which structures are being referred to: a fine black line would clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Both posts were in the mod queue, so I approved this one and deleted the duplicate in the finished map forum, as you do ask for feedback... I can move it over there if preferred.....Just drop a line...
    I prefer it here now that I think about it actually. I'm still tinkering with the map in GIMP and you're right it does fit here better as I'm still asking for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Your trees (trees are notoriously hard to get right) fit in with the rest of the map perfectly.
    Thanks! I wish I could take credit for them but I simply grabbed the PNG from here - Fantasticmaps which belongs to 'torstan' from these boards I think. All I did was mess with color levels to fit in better with my map. I'm still struggling to make my own that aren't hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    The only criticism I have (and I had to search for it!) is
    1) the doors are hard to spot due to lack of contrast with the walls.
    2) there are some errors outside the southeast corners of the some of the rooms of the southwest complex (diagonal white line).
    3) I feel the tower mutli-level cutout could be improved - its currently very large compared to the map and actually detracts from the main encounter area. Also its not 100% obvious which structures are being referred to: a fine black line would clarify.
    Thanks for the feedback, I agree with all your points. I think I can solve #1 by finding a texture with better contrast that I like. #2 I think was the result of some sloppy channel masking. #3 is going to be the hardest to solve, I'll have to think on a way to put in multiple levels that is less intrusive and yet obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadloch View Post
    #3 is going to be the hardest to solve, I'll have to think on a way to put in multiple levels that is less intrusive and yet obvious.
    I don't think you need to change a lot. I just meant that in my opinion the multi-level cutout sections have HUGE borders which are three times ticker than your wall borders. Try just cutting out 9/10ths of the border (from the outside) and showing a bit more green there instead, and I would think that would do it.