Thread: Mountains (advice needed)

Guild Journeyer

Default Mountains (advice needed)

I decided to have some fun and make a map of Valyria (using http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ommission.html as a sort of source). I'm trying to get more of a 3d look on my mountains. I need to know what everyone thinks of the mountains before I do them because they take so much time and I just need to know I'm going the right way with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains test.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	63563

I like them but you might consider squeezing them if your going to do a mountains range. For the light/shadow layer, I prefer when there is a smoother transition.

Guild Member

The contrast between the highlights and shadows is pretty sharp. If you are going for that general light side/dark side look without small details I wouldn't make the highlighted side quite so bright.

If you want to keep the bright highlights I would consider using them more sparingly, only highlighting ridges that directly catch the sun, leaving some medium tones on the light side.

Guild Journeyer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains test.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	63752

How about this?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like both versions, though my personal taste is more towards the first actually. Bold contrast and shapes there I think they are far too tall and skinny to read as mountains though, they rather come across as rock spires to me.

Guild Journeyer

I've found myself thinking that a lot too; the shape of the mountains was informed by a slightly exaggerated style but perhaps it was so exaggerated that the mountains ended up not looking like mountains haha

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I tend to prefer the first ones for the shapes though maybe a main ridge would emphasis better the contrast between lights and shadows.