Thread: [WIP] World Map for my Online Roleplaying Game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] World Map for my Online Roleplaying Game

Hello! I have purchased CC3 and the 2012 Annual for Herwin Wielink's gorgeous CC3 symbols. I even got permission to use them as symbols in my video game! Hazzah!

To be brief about the game, it is inspired by the classic MUD's, Roguelikes, early MMO's such as Ultima Online, Shadowbane and Everquest 1, easy to play game mechanics (i.e. League of Legend's handful of abilities), character customization (insuring two of the same character type are capably unique), fiction such as Tolkien's work and A Game of Thrones style, and fantasy roleplaying games such as Earthdawn.
    It is a 2D isometric online rpg, with a focus on randomized content and shorter play sessions (i.e. Roguelikes, random encounters, character death, extremely fast progression), rewarding players over punishing them (death/losing should be rewarding, not frustrating), friend-friendly design (you should always be able to play with your friends, without those stupid time sinks), universal progress despite character death (unlocking characters and components to enhance characters you create, and soul points to spend creating new characters), and 64 different factions- each with 4 different character types (i.e. Orc Warrior, Orc Archer, Orc Mage, Orc Rider, etc.). Being a big fan of character creation, I look forward to (eventually) having 256+ character types to choose from, in an organized format to not overwhelm the player.

One of the major features of the game, is traveling and exploration. Remembering back to my days of playing Everquest 1 and its meaningful but long travel times, and the adventure I'd feel reading The Hobbit and Tolkien-based "Choose Your Own Adventure!" softcover books, I love "The Journey". My favorite journey, being The Hobbit. Unlike Lord of the Rings, it is far less epic, far simpler, but ultimately a legendary adventure of a lifetime for Bilbo. To accomplish this, I accidentally and coincidentally reinvented the same World Map Travel that Fallout 1 & 2 used. Although slightly different and created years before I ever even knew what the Fallout PC games were, I somehow recreated something similar to it, except post-apocalyptic fantasy, instead of post-apocalyptic 1950's. Dur! Fortunately, or unfortunately if you love those games, that is where the similarities end. I hope. (I want to be creative, not clone a game without realizing it! haha )

Doing my research on travel times, I came up with a good set of numbers for my game, such as how far a person can walk in miles, in one day. This formula, combined with the high resolution World Map, will be a large part of the game as the player moves about the worldmap, until an event occurs in which they enter the game map with their characters visible.

Here is an example, using a Middle Earth map that inspired the game concept, of traveling in the "World Map".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex1.png 
Views:	4048 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	58280

And here is a prototype of a human and lizardman performing some combat.

Name:	ex2.png 
Views:	1871 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	58281

To make a long story short, I am creating a nearly 2.5 million square mile map for this game. The map is divided into 8 regions, and each region houses 8 races/factions.
    This is what I have right now:

Name:	445.png 
Views:	478 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	58282
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.