Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] World Map for my Online Roleplaying Game

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Hm, what a pity. I'm no expert on CC3, but as far as I know you can import your own symbols. I don't know how, though. Maybe you can make your own in the right scale?
    Otherwise you're probably right, functionality is more important than looks, right now!

Before scrapping the map to restart it, to make it more detailed by doing 100x100 regions, making each 100x100 Region look like a game's "Zone" with lots to do for the gamer, I actually ended up with this rough world map of the regions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp1_RoughRegions1.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	58370

To create that, I used the colored regions from earlier, along with the names. Then I combined it all to form this:

Name:	temp3_combined.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	58371

I read the glorious thread here on rivers and how they're formed. Using a general idea of where the mountains/hills (high ground) is with the rough world map, the names and region colors, and keeping the grid in mind for each 100x100 game "Zone", I was easily able to form the rivers for most of the continent. I may add a few rivers later, but for the most part these are done, along with all of the major lakes. The exception, is the "Hellfire Region" where lava occurs, and I have yet to research what happens when rivers meet such a heated environment. The article I read did explain how hot springs form- and this is wonderful because it changed the Minotaurs from living in a crappy underground mountain area, to a wonderfully relaxing hot springs area. Looks like the Minotaur's comfort level just upgraded significantly

Name:	RiversAdded.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	58372

All of the rivers and lakes obey the River Police's rules. Lakes are formed when surrounded by uphill areas, but two of them overflow (both) to form a new river which leads to the sea. There are only 4 rivers that don't lead to the sea. Three are lakes (one is a tiny lake, one is a massive lake, and another is a large lake). The 4th is the most southwest river. It leads into the mountains, and then underground to become the hot springs.
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-14-2013 at 04:11 AM.

The second "Zone" is completed. It is the primary region of the halflings: The Riverlands.

Name:	Riverlands.png 
Views:	558 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	58405

The symbols are custom made by me, using Herwin Wielink's hills, a cutout of the cave entrance, and doors from the Towns turned a bit more circular. I made a total of 5 variations of the halfling homes.

The primary halfling city is in the northeast, and just above it is a fun forest which I figured I could add some interesting things in.
    To the west of the city, is a large village. To the north of it are scattered homes of the more skeptical (not to mention practical) halflings who choose to live a bit further from society. They live inbetween the forest and the nearby caves, so they know better than most the dangers of comfort.

To the south and southeast are two more villages, all bound together with 3 bridges very close to one another. To help centralize the entire region, as well as to help protect the rural homes of the halfling populous- is a central fort. This is home to the Halfling Militia, who often achieve a bit of wealth by allowing merchants to trade in the safety of the militia.

Halflings refrain from developing into cities, and prefer their smaller villages. They are a social race who relies on their community for survival, but they also enjoy the peaceful comforts of fewer bothersome neighbors.

A note on the Game Item: Maps

The cave itself, is actually in a different region, but Players will have an unrealistic view of the world- far beyond what they could see in real life. However, I will achieve this through an item that increases Line of Sight.
    It may seem odd, but I like the idea of the "torch" in the darkness being a Map item.
    The better the Map, the further out the player can see. All players of course, begin with at least a basic map of their surrounding area. Map items can work in regions (high LoS in region, medium LoS outside region, low LoS in a different Biome), as well as world maps (the most powerful type of map, giving high LoS everywhere).

I actually plan on a good portion of items to be used specifically for travel on the World Map.
    Those minor PnP RPG items I have always loved so much: Tents, torches, flint & steel, rope, Rations, climbing gear, maps, etc. I will have a use for them, and the best part is that players will be limited by their Strength attribute as to how much they can carry because it is a "sustained carry" when traveling. This brings Strength to be an important attribute, even for Wizards. Items will be used, lost, and created on the road. I was inspired by some of these ideas when I was playing "Organ Trail", which is a zombie version of Oregon Trail.

No Map

Name:	NoMap.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	58406

Low Quality Map

Name:	LowMap.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	884.0 KB 
ID:	58407

Great Map

Name:	GreatMap.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	58408

Of course, a World Map would remove all darkness.
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-15-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks nice though the rivers looks a bit off regarding the other elements and the western bridge is bad oriented (nearly don't cross the river)

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Looks nice though the rivers looks a bit off regarding the other elements and the western bridge is bad oriented (nearly don't cross the river)
    Can you be more specific as to what is wrong with the rivers? Is it the placement that is off, the flow, or the effects (transparency)?
    Last edited by RonnyRulz; 10-15-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The placement is good but the drawing and the transparency don't really fit the quality of the other geographic CC3 elements.

For now, I hope this is better:

Name:	TheRiverlands.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	58438

After spending a lot more time on it, this is what I finally came up with:

Name:	final riverlake.png 
Views:	1016 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	58443

Name:	TheRiverlands.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	742.8 KB 
ID:	58444

I'm not so sure about this, but it's a start.

The area inbetween the Halflings and the Goblins. There is only this land separating the two.

Name:	MistyForest.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	58448

Updated the rivers, to be more realistic. Right now, I have three "zones" completed for the game. The City of Men, The Riverlands, and The Misty Hills.

Name:	Kwaynos1018.png 
Views:	1039 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	58503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Riverlands1018.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	58504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MistyHills1018.png 
Views:	1109 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	58505

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast