Thread: X8 - Drums on Fire Mountain

Default X8 - Drums on Fire Mountain

Hey all....real life has kept me super busy so haven't been able to do much mappin lately. Had some free time and decided to recreate a small map from the old-school d&d adventure "Drums on Fire Mountain" (X. Comments, criticisms, and suggestions are always welcome....thinking about doing another version with CC3 lighting effects.

I also have a full res version on my blog (X8 ? Drums on Fire Mountain | Drunken Nerdery)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 3a - Under Ni-Malowa - 4mb.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	58285
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Here's an encounter map for the adventure (T2)...the unsuspecting PCs come across a Tarantella chillin in a stump in the middle of a clearing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map T2 - Tarantella Encounter - 4mb.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	58297

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Apprentice

i have just discovered that "tarantella" in english is used to indicate the spider... in italian is just the folkloristic dance from southern Italy (the spider itself is named "tarantola"), so i was at first a little confused, thinking about PCs encountering a lot of people dancing around a tree stomp

I like the way it looks; maybe a little dark, but i suppose this small clearing is surrounded by trees shielding the sunlight... and a giant spider is more scary in shadow than in plain sight!

May i ask how many pcs counts the party? How do you expect the encounter to evolve?
    I am asking about, because i ever try to predict how the player will react and so i prepare the battlefiled accordingly to my ipothesis; i was wondering about the way others DMs set up the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by EruSilme View Post
    i have just discovered that "tarantella" in english is used to indicate the spider... in italian is just the folkloristic dance from southern Italy (the spider itself is named "tarantola"), so i was at first a little confused, thinking about PCs encountering a lot of people dancing around a tree stomp
    That's funny cause the adventure actually talks about how the spider has somehow charmed its victims into doing ritualistic dancing around the stump...maybe the authors were italian.

The plan right now is just to recreate the maps from this old D&D adventure...and run the game much later down the road. So I haven't thought too much about how I'm going to DM it...but, I would anticipate a group of 4 PCs come across the clearing while on a long wilderness trek and decide that this would be a good spot to make camp for a bit. One of them meanders over to the stump and is surprised by the spider. Like many encounters in old D&D modules, I don't expect this one to be particularly difficult for the PCs to overcome - but more to set the mood that they need to keep their guard up while going through the jungle.

In English, "tarantella" refers to the dancing. "Tarantula" is the spider. The name here is a typical D&D silly pun.

Guild Apprentice

thank you both, for the explanation of the trap awaiting the poor pcs and for the linguistic clarification
    It's however a good-looking map!

Great Maps AC. Don't let Real Life get in the way!