Thread: Hello everyone

Post Hello everyone

Nice to meet you all! I came across this site while researching different mapping software. It's been a treasure trove of information so far!

I'm mainly interested in using mapping software for my VTT campaigns. I must admit that I have absolutely zero artistic talent, but that's not stopping me from wanting to create some really nice maps!

Welcome Aboard
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hi Jarvin!

What software do you use/would you like to use?

-Rob A>
    To be honest, I have no idea. I'm looking for a particular style of map (which I posted a question about in the general forums) and I guess I'd use whatever will bring me closest to that particular style.

I'd also need to generate dungeon maps for combat. I'm guessing that Dundjinni or Dungeon Cartographer are the favorites for that kind of thing?

Post Favorites are...

I'd say that the "favorite software" used by members here are varied at best, but most often not a dedicated mapping application. In most cases they are the favorites in raster and vector apps like: GIMP, Photoshop for raster and Inkscape or Illustrator for vector. There is a strong core of ProFantasy users here and I'd say Dundjinni and proggies like Dungeon Crafter have the least support here.

There are individuals great with any one of these apps, but not really one program stands out, aside from the GIMP, perhaps.

Try the free ones or trial versions of other favorites and see if its your type of app. Different methods of operations may prove better for your work style, so you need to experiment.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'd guess that we don't see many Dundjinni users here because they have such a fabulous community of their own. I really like much of what I've seen from it, and I wish we got to see more of it here.

Personally, I use Photoshop for dungeon maps and some overland maps. CC3 for other overland maps, and I just added City Designer Pro for city maps. I think I'll be doing layout there, and then texturing and touch-up in Photoshop.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name