Thread: Second map os Askan

Guild Novice

Map Second map os Askan

Hello, this is de second version of the map of Askan, in medieval style.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AskanRealNewNOPssss.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	962.0 KB 
ID:	58288
    Some people said it looks like Europe, I believe it is because of the lower ocean and the island to the west, but I do not think so.
    Please give your opinions!

well, at first glance it does look a bit like Europe to me, but I still like the outline of this map. I think you could make it look a lot different than Europe if you add unique mountains, rivers, and any other creative landmarks. I love the colors of your map and the nice worn look it has. I don't know how much you want to change of the land shape, but if you want it to look different than Europe than I would change the shape of the islands in the upper left corner and I think that would help a lot. I really like this map so far... even if it might look a little like Europe. Keep working on it!

Guild Novice

Thank you! I did not add more details because I was still waiting for an evaluation. I'll do what you said, seems like a good idea!

I wouldn't worry about it looking too much like Europe but if you really wanted to kill it I think attaching that island that is "Spain" to the portion of land that is "Morocco" would really do a lot to kill any similarity. The overall map as it is has a nice "this part of land is drifting away from the mainland through tectonic forces" kind of feel. If you joined the ocean with those two lakes on the northern bit of that string of lakes to form a long narrow gulf that would again also kill off any similarity to Europe even more. Again, I would not worry about it all too much.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Turn it upside down and it looks like China and Japan. You're nearly always going to have cartographers seeing reflections of other maps. I see Britain and New South Wales and Cuba in cracks in the footpath between my house and the bus stop that no-one else sees. If you're really concerned about it just redo the lower sea so it doesn't look so much like Turkey and North Africa. All it needs is a peninsula or inlet that the eye lands on and the rest of it won't look nearly as familiar;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AskanRealNewNOPssss.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	58311