Thread: Private Investigator's Office

Default Private Investigator's Office

Not my usual style or genre... here's a 1920's-ish gumshoe - private detective's office. I used actual old photo and newspaper for details. I created custom map objects for the typewriter, candlestick phone, lamp, hatrack, chairs, ash tray and cigar, whiskey bottle and shot glass, and the 38 revolver, even venetian blinds, in addition to the usual furnishings... enjoy! (These objects could potentially become their own set).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	private-eye.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	58296
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I like this, it works and you don't see it too often, what program did you use?

~J

I love the objects Gameprinter - what a lovely map.

Looks realistic. Nice job.

I like the old-time phone!

Thanks, guys. As always, I use Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 - a vector drawing application.

Here's an up close view of some of those map objects!

Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pi-stuff.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	524.5 KB 
ID:	58317
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

The placement of the client's chair is interesting. It's really far away from the desk, right in the center of the room. Someone sitting there would feel like they're being interrogated. And the door is just at the edge of the client's peripheral vision, which has to be unnerving.

Hope you don't mind, GP, but I thought this one could do with a film noir look.

Besides the conversion to B/W, I added some lens dust & scratches, some soft grain from the film, and a vignette. I was tempted to do some lighting work to get those blinds throwing shadows across the office, but that would have taken longer than I felt like spending.

edit: look like I overdid the lens scratches. The newspaper's barely legible now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	private-eye_noir.jpg 
Views:	1494 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	58336  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I thought about doing venetian blind shadows thrown from the windows, only as an afterthought, but then I'd have to change the direction on all my shadows - which stopped me from doing it. Nice job of "Noir"ing it up!
    DrivethruRPG store