Thread: 1930's China Town

Guild Journeyer

Map 1930's China Town

I haven't had a ton of time to do any mapping lately but I did do this copy of a china town map to work out the style in CC3.

Comments, Suggestions and feedback desired.

Thanks,

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Street Map 1930 - webpost.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	460.7 KB 
ID:	61970  
    Last edited by KenG; 03-03-2014 at 09:48 AM.

I'm not really sure what to think about it deeply. I live in San Francisco, so this piece really is something close to home, about 2 miles from my apartment. I think it is well done, maybe the faded look is not to my liking, but it shows that it is 70+ years old. I like it and the detail, it is just like one of my maps and in a style I would do myself on paper. I have a lot of personal opinion about this piece. Since it is so similar to one of my paper maps, I really like it a lot. It looks so much like the 1895 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps. I bet that is where the idea came from. I would love to know the source of the background information.

The map really shows the northern most part of China Town as it was back the time frame in question. I look forward to seeing the rest of the map pages. I believe the China Town Gate is is on Sutter Street and as far east as Kearny Street. That looks like it took a lot of work to make the one page you have here.