Thread: WIP: Tigerport

Wip WIP: Tigerport

Hi!
    I am planing this city for a game, the city is situated on a fictional tropical volcanic island.
    this is a first time I made a city map, i made the terrain with l3dt and streets with inkscape.
    don't worry about bad aligned buildings, this is just a first sketch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porttigerwip.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	58308
    building colors:
    light blue: government
    orange: military
    dark blue: warehouse
    green: parks and squares
    yellow: church
    white: non important buildings
    tips and opinions are welcome

Guild Apprentice

hi and welcome! (ehi, i'm a sort of newcomer myself, and now i am acting as if this forum would be my home from years ... embarassing! )

I like the idea of using the 3d terrain for some map creations, i have planned making something similar.
    I do not want to give an opinion about the city structure, because i think there is around people definitly more expert than me: however, i assume it's a modern day settlement? I infer this by the presence of a net of straight roads, crossing with others in a regular "geometric" fashion; the building grouped in "blocks"; even the oval shape of the stadium. Or maybe is a roman city

Only potential issues of your layout: the rivers. Please, do not take me wrong, these are observations of mine and i do not want at all to criticize your work! There is a fearsome band of river inspectors, on this forum... beware of them! They are everywere!!

The northern one runs trough a valley, and it's ok, but i would shorten the two tributaries, and make they flow down from a relief, because now it gives the idea (to me at least) that you do not understand how come that they are flowing into the sea and not in the opposite direction.

About the southern, i would make a couple of changes, because it makes a couple of turns a little bit .. mhh ... "artificial"? In particular the 90 degree bend, exiting from the last mountain range. Personally I would have come down on a north - south axis to the point where it meets the streets. But obviously it is possible that the course of the river (especially if it is a modern city) is the resulting of changes made by man.

Allow me, hoping you do not mind, to paste below a modified version of your map with marked roughly what I wrote above.

Name:	rivers.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	58313
    Last edited by EruSilme; 10-11-2013 at 04:43 AM.

sorry for delayed reply...
    i assume it's a modern day settlement? I infer this by the presence of a net of straight roads, crossing with others in a regular "geometric" fashion; the building grouped in "blocks"; even the oval shape of the stadium. Or maybe is a roman city
    I planned make a city for the first half of 19th Century, I relied on historical maps of Paris on wikipedia

WIP progress:
    I finished the buildings, fixed the river issue ( thanks EruSilme ) and put some details

Name:	tigerportwip2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	58351
    now the rivers are based on terrain flowmap

Name:	flowmap.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	58352