Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temporal Comet Strike world

Wip Temporal Comet Strike world

Having learned some new techniques on my commission map, Edara, I decided to start working on my own fantasy campaign world.

This world (unnamed yet) had a collision with a temporal comet - debris from a parallel plane (or plane of time) and ripped through this world's planar fabric colliding with this particular world.

The map shows a canyon rift created in the wake of the comet as it skimmed the surface of this planet, until it reached a high mountain range and exploded - crater can be seen as well as rift.

This world suffers temporal anamolies, actions by time-travelers, anachronisms and people from different places on the timeline coexisting in the current temporally damaged world.

The rift valley is near the equator, filled with jungle and Jurrasic lifeforms - dinosaurs.

Although I have created the basics for the entire continent, the only detailing so far is here at the equator with rift and crater area for starters. The dark green is a place holder for mountains, the brown beyond that is desert. I'm thinking of filling the crater bottom with a round lake.

Note despite the comet strike this world didn't suffer the consequences had this been a true comet strike if such hit our world, most of the damage is temporal (time-affecting) though the rift, crater and rim debris was catastrophic, just not "ice age" causing like a real comet strike...

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comet-strike.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	4811  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-03-2008 at 02:05 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I have a fondness for fantasy worlds where you can see the scars of calamity right there on the map

It's a promising start, nice and dramatic. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a great idea for a world map. It's looking really good so far. My only suggestion would be to tone down the brown at the end of the meteor's path. At the moment its sitting over the river source and altering the water colour there, which looks a little strange. Perhaps switching the brown to a multiply or overlay blend would integrate it with the map a little more.

Looking good!

What can I say other than looking good there?

Some of the bump-mapping/embossing/height-mapping seems a bit extreme, maybe those could be toned down a bit?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I, too, am liking the tree fill and cracks fill...adds that lil bit of character. Nice start.

Wip Updated map...

An update on the map, showing a wider area around the equatorial zone. I filled the crater with a lake, placed to shattered ground ripples in the desert beyond the mountain range from the crater area. More mountains, shattered the mountains too. The darker green forests around the rift waterway are swampy regions. Got a bunch of 1 pixel wide rivers and some .5 pixel tributaries. Note some jungle in the mountains too.

Update so far...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comet-strike-update.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	751.8 KB 
ID:	4823  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wow! That's pretty cool. Nice work.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Post Another tutorial in mind...

When I complete this map, I think I am going to create another Xara Xtreme tutorial - the techniques I use to create regional/continental maps, including forest texturing and layering, mountain creation, canyons, cut rivers and more.

Again, I know the number of users for Xara here is 1, maybe two if you count Ravs using Serif DrawPlus, which is the closet app to Xara Xtreme, but there might be some techniques that can cross into other apps - GIMP, Illustrator...

I really am trying to convert more users to apps like Xara Xtreme.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

FINE!!!! I'm downloading it ...

But if it don't have a magic "Instant Map" button .... I'm going to be VERRRYY Disappointed!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast