Thread: Hello from Sibir

Guild Novice

Default Hello from Sibir

Hi, guys. My name is Alexander. I'm new to cartography and currently are making maps for some forum roleplay game. But as I can see now, my maps is... well, terrible. Guess I can learn many new things from you and this forum.

Guild Adept

Actually, I can't see any map. Is there something missing in your post maybe?

Guild Novice

Well, okay, that's what I have for now:
    I'm not done with it, of course.
    Last edited by GFlame; 10-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey, that's not so bad! I know it's better than I could do with computer mapping. The mountains and trees look cool. What are the pointy-looking red things?

I'd probably fix the scale so that the ticks are vertical, slanted they look 3-D, and this isn't a 3-D map. Not sure if that's just a placeholder compass. Be sure to show us the next version, please
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

That isn't bad at all, I started off way worse than that. You need to change your compass, your colors are too bright and there are a few other things that still need work but for a start that isn't a bad map. I think if you worked at it a bit and learned a few things it could turn out to be really nice.

Guild Novice

foremost, Domino44, thanks for words of cheers.

What are the pointy-looking red things?
    Red things are camps of inhabitants of steppes. And those compass and scale are just placeholders, yes. Maybe I'll remove them later.

your colors are too bright
    Thanks. It's not too hard to change with CC3. From beginning this map was planned to look like steppe. Too bad I don't have enough skills. Maybe you know some topics which may be helpful?

I am by far not the most talented cartographer here so what I would encourage you to do is post any questions you have, a better artist than me will give you better input than I would. You don't have to look very long to find amazing maps here so look around find what you like and try to create something that is still your own but better than anything you have done before. Every map that I have done I have felt I have learned new things and grown with each new map I created.

Guild Novice

Got it
    By the way, this is how my map looks after little bit of correction:
    Last edited by GFlame; 10-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

The colors in either one look fine to me, it'll just determine the style of map. If you want to make it more realistic-looking, you could have patches of grass instead of one flat color.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Novice

Wow, guess this conversation did not feet the introductory part already Next version will be in Regional/World mapping.